Sergio Calderon

The bright afternoon sunlight hits your face, nearly blinding you as you and your best friend exit the dimly lit movie theater. "Ahh, my eyes," you shriek, shielding your face with your hands.

Jessica grunts in agreement. "I feel like a vampire exiting my coffin for the first time."

"Strange analogy. Even stranger that it makes sense."

Jessica pulls out her phone, looks at the screen, and puts it back in her pocket.

"Is he on his way?" you ask, referring to her boyfriend, who agreed to pick the two of you up.

"Yeah. Sergio is coming too," says Jessica, looking sideways at you. You can't hide anything from your best friend, and though you haven't said anything outright, she can tell you're interested in Sergio m

"Okay," you reply nonchalantly.

Jessica laughs. "Oh, come on, I know you like him. When are you going to do something about it?"

You sigh, dropping the act. "I don't know. We're not that close yet...and anyway, I don't like him that much!"

"Puh-lease! You're obsessed with him. It's plain as day." Jessica elbows you teasingly. "And apparently the four of us will be going to his house today, so this is your chance to get close!" She winks.

You try to control the bubbling excitement. You've been to your crush's house maybe once or twice before, what with him being close friends with Jessica's boyfriend. But, due to your crippling awkwardness, you can barely hold a conversation with him. Maybe today will be different. After all, the romantic movie you and Jessica just watched has inspired you a little.

A car pulls up in front of the theater and honks obnoxiously. "Shut up, we're coming," Jessica hollers through the open window at her boyfriend, Mark. She opens the door and climbs into the shotgun seat, leaving the back seat to you...and presumably Sergio. You wipe your palms on your pants and open the door.

And there he is, grinning at you as you climb in and sit down next to him. "Hey, Y/n," he says, and that simple greeting is suddenly the sexiest, smoothest thing you've ever heard. You sigh involuntarily, then quickly remember yourself and try to act cool. "Oh, hey, Sergio," you reply, buckling your seat belt.

"So. Your house, Sergio?" asks Mark as he pulls out of the parking lot.

"Yeah, my parents aren't home so we can get turnt," Sergio jokes. "As in, like, bust out the root beer."

You laugh, a little too loudly, considering it wasn't that funny. Jessica is right, you're really not subtle about your crush. But thankfully, Sergio seems oblivious.

"You can stay pretty late, too, if you want," he continues.

Turning away to face the window, you smile a little to yourself. Spending the whole evening with Sergio sounds like a pretty good time to you. You just hope you won't screw anything up with your awkwardness.

Mark pulls into Sergio's driveway and you all hop out. When you're all inside the house, Sergio grabs a few root beers from the fridge. You take one from him and your fingers touch for a second.

You crack open the soda, enjoying the satisfying fizz. "Cheers," says Sergio, holding out his can. You and your friends laugh and bump cans and then collapse onto the living room couches together. Jessica and Mark immediately cuddle up next to each other on the loveseat. Meanwhile, you and Sergio sit on armchairs opposite each other, occasionally making awkward eye contact.

"Hey, baby, I have something for you," says Mark suddenly, reaching into his back pocket. As you and Sergio look on with interest, he pulls out a small jewelry box and hands it to Jessica. She gasps before even opening it. "No way! You didn't have to!!" she shrieks. Then she opens the box gently to reveal a beautiful chain necklace, and shrieks even more. You laugh quietly, enjoying her happiness, as she pounces on her boyfriend and hugs him tightly.