TAKEN

Its funny, you watch these stories on the news about murderers and the awful things that happen to the victims; you gasp and talk about how horrible it is and you feel sympathetic towards the family and you carry on with your life.

But it's not that simple when its you, when you're the one dealing with such a horrific thing, you can't just carry on. How are you meant to just pick up the pieces of your life when they are shattered beyond repair?

It started with a bang. I opened one eye and looked at the clock. 3.42AM. I groaned and closed my eyes again. There was another bang, this time louder, this time closer. I sat up straight.

"Mum?" I call out. There's another bang and it makes me jump. I get up to walk across the room but it's too dark, I edge gently because I haven't memorized the floor plan yet. We only moved in two weeks ago, new house, new country. Ultimate fresh start.

I open the door and put my ear against the crack. There are no bangs but I can hear muffled voices. Voices that don't belong to my parents. I stop. What do I do?

I put my eye against the crack and watch my parents' door and wait. I see a man in all black, face covered. My heart stops and I back away, grabbing my phone and dialing '999' before clearing it and re-dialing '911'.

"911, what your Emergency?"

"There's a man in my house" I whispered, "We're new to America, I don't know what to do. He's in my parents room"

"Ok ma'am, what your address?" I give it to her quickly and ask what I should do. She pauses. "Ma'am, just stay calm,"

"What if it's them?" I murmur. Despite only being here for a fortnight we had found out there had been a string of murders in this neighborhood something the estate agent decided to leave out. A group of men had been targeting small families with daughters, killing the parents, taking the daughter for a week, and then she is eventually found dead.

"What's your name ma'am?"

"Amity"

"It's a slim chance it is them Amity," her voice is shaking; she's not as calm as she sounded before. "but to be on the safe side, can you get out of the house?"

"No, I can't"

"Ok, I need you to find somewhere to hide, hang up and put your phone on silent and put it somewhere safe, police will be dispatched very soon."

"Ok" my voice cracks. "Bye"

I climb into the cupboard, turn the phone on silent and put it in my bra, where everything goes. I wait, my breath racing.

A cry of pain broke the silence and I didn't hesitate to run to my parents' room. I flung open the door and was met with the sight of two men dressed all in black. My mum was crying n the floor, tied and gagged. My dad was being kicked and I couldn't even react before I had something put over my mouth and nose. It smelled sweet and like something fairly familiar, before I could place it everything went black.

Reid POV

"Reid, we got another one" Morgan's voice broke my concentration. I moved to the pin board where the rest of the victims' case files and evidence were pinned. Morgan looked over his notes and started to brief us.

"We have another murder in the same neighborhood, this time a family of three. The mother and the father killed in the same way: beaten and strangled. The daughter is missing. Eighteen-year-old Amity Lucas. Everything is the same as the other murders, except Amity managed to call the police before,"

He plays the tape and we hear a British girls voice, clearly terrified.

"She's English?" I asked.

"The family only moved here two weeks ago, the dad lost his job and they decided to just leave everything behind." Hotch explained.

"That's so sad, that poor girl, she must so so terrified" whispered Garcia.

"What about her phone, is it still on, is it with her?" We all looked at Prentiss as she finished her question, and then turned back to Morgan, waiting for the answer.

"Its on, we called it, but we can't trace it because its not fully registered in the US yet." Announced Morgan.

"Its good that its on, isn't it? Maybe we should send a text message, she might not be able to talk, but she could send a message?" I suggested.

"Reid, you get on that, and then start working on the profile" Morgan barked and I nodded, getting to it.

I picked up my phone, copied the number in to it and started typing. I suddenly stopped. What if they had her phone? I looked over at Morgan, he was busy. I dialed the number and hit 'call'.

I hold my breath as it rings, and just as I' about to give up I hear the 'click' of it being answered. I'm silent.

"Hello?" The voice is barely a whisper, terror clear in her voice. It's her, its Amity.

"Hello, Amity?" The team hears me and gathers around. "I am Doctor Spencer Reid and I'm with the FBI. We're trying to find you, do you have any idea where you are?"

"FBI?" she murmurs.

"Yes, FBI, can you hear or see anything around you, perhaps there's a window?"

"Its dark, no windows, cold."

"Ok, what can you hear?"

"I don't know" she whispers, "I don't know, I think I can hear water" I hear a sob catch in her throat and I hear her swallow. "Are my parents dead?"

"We don't need to focus on that now, we need to focus on getting you out of there safely."

"Oh god, they're dead" Her breathing speeds up, like she's going to cry but I hear her swallow again. The next time she speaks its like she's a different person. "I can hear water and I can smell sawdust,"

"When was the last time you saw the men, and how many of them were there?"

"Um, about half an hour ago, and at least three."

"How much battery have you got?"

"Its pretty much full, and its an old Nokia, so is lasts quite a long time."

"Ok, as soon as you hear them come, you need to hide the phone, is there somewhere you can hide it?" I hear her shuffling about.

"Yes, I got somewhere."

"Amity, I'm going to get you to hang up soon, because it's too dangerous for you to talk any more. Can you text this number back? Just to let us know you're ok, and then I'll arrange to call you again soon, ok?" There's silence. "Ok?"

"Ok" she says even more quietly. "Goodbye"

The line went dead.