The good old days

Many years ago, two hedgehogs who were known as rivals had fell in love with each other. Those two hedgehogs were Shadow and Sonic. They got married when Sonic was 30. By 37, Sonic wanted kids so they adopted 3 one years old. When Sonic was 54, they said see you soon to their kids who went to college. It seemed as if time went by so fast, too fast.

Now, Sonic was 81 years old, full out grown, white beard, fluffy mustache, and bushy eyebrows. His quills were now a very pale blue, along with being messy. He couldn't run anymore and needed a cane just to walk from place to place.

Shadow, on the other hand, didn't look a day over 20. His age was currently, from what Sonic just assumed, 116 years old. People who saw Sonic and Shadow would assume that Shadow was taking care of his grandpa, when actuality they were couples. Shadow hated his immortality. He wanted to grow old pyshically and die along with Sonic from old age.

Sonic and Shadow were currently on a bench looking among the park where children were playing, teenagers chatting away while on their phones, and couples on picnic dates. The old hero sighs happily, his emerald green eyes not dimming a single bit since his younger years. Shadow held Sonic's hand as they watched. Sonic started to speak, his voice in a low tone, sounding a bit gruff.

" So, now who's the old man? The one who looks like an old man or the one who's 116 years old. "

They both chuckled. Shadow just smiled and looked at the sky.

" Well, since i'm younger looking, you are. "

Sonic laughs before coughing a bit. He looks at Shadow with a playful glare. He playfully punch the side of his shoulder.

" Mmm, not as strong as you use to be, Hedgehog. "

" Of course not, this body is weak and fragile. I can't run anymore unless I want to break my back. You have to be my body guard until I die, Shadz. "

Shadow just looked away. Sonic frown, he knew he hated to think about Sonic's death" especially these days. Sonic scouted closer abd put a hand on his shoulder.

" Shadow, I know the death of someone you love is difficult, remember how I acted when I was 25 and lost Tails to Egghead? I know you lost Maria too, but remember, they'll always be in your heart. They wouldn't want you to cry and be depressed for weeks on end. "

Shadow looked at Sonic. He knew that his aging lover was right. It was hard though, and especially since he's been with Sonic for so long. He got up, went around in the back, and hugs him. He didn't want to let go of Sonic, he wasn't ready to lose him. Sonic just closed his eys and held Shadow's hand as he smiled. They didn't care if they got stares, all they cared about was the moment.

Shadow finally let go 10 minutes later. He pulled away and help Sonic get up. They both started walking home happily. Sonic sighed and looked up at Shadow with a sad look in his eyes.

" Will our children ever visit us, Shadz? "

" I'm sure they will, Sonic. They're probably just busy with their lives right now. "

Sonic just nodded. They got to the front door of their house. It was a nice house. It was black with some red on the outside. When they went inside, the walls were blue, and in some bedrooms, it was green. They couldn't decide if they wanted thr color schemes after Shadow or Sonic, but at the end, they chose both. Shadow went into in the kitchen as Sonic sat down and turn on some tv.

" Mmm, Shadow, did you know my brother finally married Scrouge? "

" Really? How do you know? "

" The news. All they're talking about is the royal wedding of Manic and Scrouge. "

" Interesting. Wonder why they didn't invite us. "

Sonic shrugged and decided to put on some cartoons. As Shadow was making lunch, he heard a cane drop. Shadow suddenly makes his way into the living room. He gasped and picked up Sonic.

Sonic was having a heart attack.

He rushes to the hospital and tells the doctors he needs help right away. That was an hour ago. Shadow sat waiting, he was nervous and scared. What if Sonic was dead? He pushed that thought out of his head and sat. He got up and started pacing back and foward. He was worried and concern.

When a doctor came out, he looked at the doctor with happiness until it quickly turn into dread. The doctor's face showed sadness as he walked up to Shadow.

" Mr. Shadow, I have bad news. "

' This couldn't be happening. ' he panicked

" Sonic is... "

' No, stop! Don't say it! This is a bad dream. ' He started to shake.

" ...I'm sorry for your loss, Mr. Shadow. "

' NOOOOOOOOOO!!! ' Why was this happening now, today out of all the days. Shadow couldn't believe this. It can't be happening, it's just a dream. It was all real though.

3 weeks later

Everyone was there. At Sonic's funeral. Amy, Blaze, Silver, Mephliles(who also didn't age physically too), Knuckles, Rouge, Cream, Manic, Scrouge, and lastly, Sonia. He was being burried by Tails. Shadow stood by the side of his casket, staring as tears fell. It wasn't fair, why does this happened? Why did the heart attack happen?

After the funeral, Shadow still stayed, and the weeks after, he stayed at his grave. He slept by his grave, of course, if Maria was burried, he would've done the same. One night, he had a dream that made him happy.  It was all dark, and stood in that darkness was Sonic, with angel wings and a halo along with Maria who had the same. It looked like they were talking, but Shadow couldn't hear.

He had tears as Sonic and Maria turned around and saw him. They went to him and hugged him tightly. Shadow, of course, hugged back. Suddenly, he was waking up, but before he left, he heard Maria and Sonic both say:

" Shadow, remember the good old days. "

// * Sniffles * here, have a tear jerker oneshot.

-Mod