The Ghost of the past

// Ready for sadness? //

A year ago, It was Shadow first day on planet Mobius, well, waking up and seeing Mobius. He meets Ivo " Eggman " Robotnik and trusts him. Finding out that Robotnik is actually evil, so he is now working at G.U.N. He meets Rouge and feels content in his life but he feels something missing from his life. All he does is get sent to do whatever G.U.N wants him to do, and then at the end of the day, he hangs out with Rouge. Today was a strange day for Shadow since Rouge was wearing black and holding flowers. Confused, the ebony hedgehog decided to ask his questions that were popping into mind. 

" Rouge, what's with the black and the flowers? "

Rouge looks at him, sighing.

" One of my friends lost her brother today. Today is the day of his death, and she likes it whenever I come to pay respects. "

Shadow nodded but was still confused on some things.

" But pay respects to someone you don't know? "

" It's mostly me comforting her, handsome. Now, do you wanna come or not? "

Shadow decided he wanted to go. Once they got there, he saw a magenta hedgehog hunched over something, crying into her hands as Rouge went over and held her. Shadow got bored and wander around the cemetery before going into the woods. He walked for a while, looking around at his surroundings as he makes it to a beautiful pond, with all sorts of greenery surrounding it. Frogs, fishes, butterflies and wild animals and flowers were seen everywhere. Shadow sits down next to the edge, sighing, looking up.

" You would've loved this place, Maria... " 

" Hey, you look sad, are you missin' someone? "

The ebony jumps, falling into the pond that wasn't that deep. Laughter was heard as Shadow growls, quickly turning his head towards this stranger. 

" Hey! What the FUCK was that for- " 

Shadow's eyes widen as he swore his heart stop beating. An azure hedgehog stood there, with bright emerald eyes and caring smile as he held a hand out. 

" Do you need some help? "

Shadow felt heat rush to his cheeks as he wearily takes his hand, looking away embarrassingly. The blue hedgehog pulled the ebony one, as he scratches the back of his neck, giving him an apologetic smile.

" Sorry if I surprised you, it certainly wasn't my intention to. My name is Sonic, what's yours? "

Shadow huffed and crossed his arms and glared at Sonic.

" The name's Shadow and I am the Ultimate Lifeform. "

Sonic blinked, before giving him a childish smirk. This made Shadow raise a brow before feeling a tap on his shoulder.

" Tag, you're it, Shadz! "

Shadow was confused, why was this hedgehog playing such childish games with him? Then again, Maria was 16 and she tended to be as childish as him. Shadow had nothing to do so it wouldn't hurt if he played one game of tag. Sonic stood in the distance, seeing if the ebony one was going to play until suddenly he disappeared. 

" What the- hey! Where did you go?? "

The blue hedgie looked around, a bit panicked that his now new founded friend seemed to disappear on him. He soon felt a tap on his shoulder as he turned around, seeing Shadow standing there with a Chaos Emerald in hand. Sonic puffs as he crosses his arms, tapping his foot. 

" Hey! That's cheating, Shadow, you can't just do that! "

" Well, you can't just expect me to play a childish game with someone I don't know. "

Sonic was about to make a comeback but realized that Shadow was right. He knew almost nothing about this edgelord, and the edgehog didn't know anything about him. Sonic looked at Shadow and smiled awkwardly. 

" Heh, you're right. So, wanna sit down at the pond and just talk? "

Shadow nod in agreement and walked over to the pond, both sitting down as Sonic smiled. It kinda made Shadow uncomfortable at how much this hedgehog smiled. 

" So, um... I asked something about earlier? Did you lose anybody? "

Shadow stared at Sonic and closes his eyes, not responded. 

" Hey! Don't worry, no need to tell me! Uh, next question, what's your hobby Shadow? "

" ...My hobby is cleaning my guns. "

Sonic smiled. The two hedgehogs talked about themselves, then took a walk around the forest before having a race to see how is the fastest in the world. The whole time, Sonic was having the time of his life as Shadow started to make a connection to Sonic. He didn't know he could meet someone similar to Maria, yet different to her at the same time. Shadow soon sat down on the edge of a cliff, with Sonic following behind him, flower in hand. Time had seemed to gone by fast since it was already evening. Sonic sighed.

" Isn't it beautiful? "

" Yeah, my friend Maria would have enjoyed it. "

" Maria? Who's she? "

Shadow looked at Sonic with a sad look, which made Sonic instantly regret asking the question. He held Shadow's hand in a caring way. 

" H-hey, as I said earlier, you don't need to explain yourself if you don't want too. "

" No, it's fine, I want to explain myself. I need too, actually. "

The ebony one started explaining his past, and once he did he swore he saw Sonic transparent a bit. Sonic nodded, completely understanding the situation Shadow was in. The blue one cuddles into the ebony one, making Shadow blush. The ebony one instinctively brought the blue one closer to him. Sonic didn't want to go yet, he was having a great time with this new hedgehog. The blue hedgie really enjoyed Shadow's presence, and made him feel good and loved by someone other than family. He looked up to Shadow, seeing him with eyes closed, he really wanted to tell Shadow that he was dead and that he needed to go but he couldn't.

Assuming that Shadow was asleep from the subtle snoring, the blue one slowly got up and put the flower in his lap. He then picked him up and walked him close to where his sister and Rouge were so they could find him easily. Kissing his forehead, he looks at him.

" Thank you Shadz, for coming today with Rouge. I have never been so happy in my afterlife before... So thank you... " 

And just like that, it was like Sonic was never there. 

A yawn came from the ebony hedgehog as he sat up, noticing that he was in his bedroom. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees blue and turns his head. It was the flower Sonic had in a vase, as his bedroom door opened by Rouge. She smiles and sat down on his bed.

" Hey hun, how are you? Did you have fun exploring? "

" Yeah, and I wasn't really exploring. "

This made Rouge curious and asked what he was doing. Shadow explained his whole day with Sonic, which made the bat wide-eyed, thinking that this possible other hedgehog could be the spirit of Sonia's brother. 

" Hun... who was this other hedgehog's name? "

" His name is Sonic. "

" Oh, Shadow... Sonic died 3 years ago when he was 15 years old when someone drowned him in a shallow pond. "

Shadow went pale, the pond he was at, how he seemed to come out of nowhere, that was his deathbed. He curled up and pondered how and why did he not question his sudden appearance, and it explained why he seen him transparent. As Rouge left, he swore he felt a hand on his shoulder, and when he checked, it was no one. He sighed sadly.

" Why does this happen to me. Why do the nicest people I meet and grow a close bond to always got to be a Ghost of the Past...? "