Chapter 19

Tonight BET are honouring 90s Female Divas. I've been asked to perform to do a tribute to my mom, Mariah Carey and 1 song with Tamar alongside Elle. I've been wanting to work with Tamar for a while but she's been so busy with The Real, BFV, FAME and her albums. 

This is an event that many famous turn up to, awards are handed out and tributes are paid. Of course my family being the 90s legends that they are, will be in attendance. 

I didn't walk the red carpet because I wanted for the legends to have their moment, even though this night is for them, it's very easy for paps to give them less attention. It was best because I was opening the night so I needed to be prepared. I'm opening with a Mariah Carey song, I have my hair up and I'm rocking a little black dress. 

It's still black out for me so I scan the audience, in search of Michael who I spot sitting besides my dad. I furrow my brows before quickly relaxing my face as the spotlight falls on me. I channel my inner Mariah as I gracefully pose before singing into the mic.

"Treated me kind
Sweet destiny
Carried me through desperation
To the one that was waiting for me
It took so long
Still I believed
Somehow the one that I needed
Would find me eventually

I had a vision of love
And it was all that you've given to me..."
I barely move around as I perform the song, it's literally the music and me. As I near the whistle note I begin to walk down the steps and I stand infront of Mariah who has one brow raised. I perform the whistle note with ease which has everyone on their feet as I make my way back to the stage. 

Everyone is up on their feet as I finish the song, I bow while smiling. I thank them before giving a brief introduction into what the night has in stock. Tracee Ellis Ross takes over for me and I greet her on my way off the stage.

When I'm backstage I head to the dressing room and change into denim dress, I pair it with some chunky boots ahead of sitting in the audience. I spot my mother so I smile at her and she whistles at me which has several eyes on me.

The night gets started, awards have been handed and I've just watched the Braxton Sisters pay tribute to Toni. It was beautiful and they are honestly such a talented bunch.

35 minutes into the show I'm called backstage for my next performance. I quickly curl my hair with a straightener before brushing it out, I spray the fuck out it so it stays down. I get changed into a grey mauve crop top and grey fashionnova sweats, I pair it with a pair of boots that match the top.

"If you had my love and I gave you all my trust would you comfort me
And if somehow you knew that your love would be untrue would you lie to me
And call me baby...
"  I start off the song acapella before breaking into a small dance. It earns me several cheers as the instrumental begins to play. I hear my mom hoot as she realises that I'm going to do a tribute for her.

 I hear my mom hoot as she realises that I'm going to do a tribute for her

I won't lie I got gassed while doing the dance breaks for my moms songs. I always enjoyed the dance breaks in music, it's a shame that not many people dance in their songs these days. Everything is just so raunchy which isn't bad but not every song needs you half naked and shaking your booty. 

I perform 5 songs; 3 with the assistance of Becky G, Camila Cabello and Nia Phoenix. Once thats all done I give my mom a 10 minute speech before I present an award to her. She gives a loooooooong ass speech while I'm sweating my face off. As soon as she finishes I drag her off stage before she can speak some more, we chill backstage as I take a quick shower. I redo my makeup before putting on my black two piece. 

I spot Elle behind the curtains so I cuddle up to her as Tamar performs. Once she finishes she walks to the back of the stage and begins to sing again

 A scrub is a guy that thinks he's fly
And is also known as a buster
Always talkin' about what he wants
And just sits on his broke ass
So, no  

Elle and I join her to sing No Scrubs by TLC.

I rap on behalf of Left Eyes and I pray to her soul that I did her justice

 "I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
Hanging out the passenger side
Of his best friend's ride
Trying to holler at me
I don't want no scrub
A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me
Hanging out the passenger side
Of his best friend's ride
Trying to holler at me...."
We repeat the chorus a few more times, so the girls and I decide to head out into the audience for this. As I'm making my way over to Michael who is smiling at me, I stop by Ginuwine instead while looking at my man. Ginuwine has aged like fine wine, I'm making the most out of this.

I laugh as Michael's smile drops and he looks at the camera that is focused on him

I laugh as Michael's smile drops and he looks at the camera that is focused on him. I make sure not to overstep my boundaries as I barely dance infront of Ginuwine, as we are nearing the end of the song I wrap my arms around Michael and give him a brief kiss before running back to the stage.