Career Day

AN: A lil' bit of angst but mostly family fluff. Enjoy!

-Talented_trash

"Okay class, remember tomorrow is career day! Bring your parents if they're able to come," the teacher declared as the second and third graders filed out of the classroom. "Ro, do you think Dad and Father will want to come," Virgil asked as he followed his older brother down the busy hallway. "Definitely. They looove this kind of stuff." Roman smiled at his brother and playfully shoved his shoulder. "Hey Roman," another boy from their class called out from across the hall. Roman looked at his little brother with a questioning expression. "It's fine Ro. Go be social and all that jazz." Roman smiled gratefully before racing towards his friend. Virgil made his way down the hall avoiding any eye contact at all and expertly maneuvered past his peers. "Hey kiddo! Where's your brother at," Patton questioned cheerfully as he gave his son a quick hug. "He's being a butterfly. Ya know...He actually has friends and stuff like that," a hint of sadness lingered in Virgil's tone even though he had a sarcastic outer appearance. "You still haven't met anyone? Anyone at all?" Virgil looked down and pulled on his sleeves anxiously. "Verge..It's been four months." Virgil backed away from Patton a little and kept his head down. "I'm sorry. I know I'm not Roman-" Patton sighed and ran a hand through his already messy hair. "Hey," he interrupted causing Virgil to flinch away. "Sorry, sorry kiddo." He stepped forward slowly and gently lifted Virgil's head. "I don't want you to be like Roman. And I'm not mad at you. I just don't want you to be all alone," Patton replied as he made eye contact with his son. Virgil smirked feebly and melted into his Dad's loving touch. "I'm here! Sorry it took so long Dad," Roman called out from a short distance away. Patton let go of Virgil's chin and smiled brightly. "It's a-okay Roman. How was school?" Roman hugged Patton's torso and sighed. "It was great. And guess what?!" Patton gasped dramatically and Virgil had to repress his laughter. "What?!" They all started walking to the car as Roman told his Dad about career day. "Of course I'll come kiddos! It'll be a fun bonding experience." Patton unlocked the car and helped Virgil get in and buckled. "Unfortunately your Father has work tomorrow, so I don't think he'll be able to come." Roman sighed and looked out his window. "What's the matter Princey," Virgil questioned as Patton pulled out of the parking lot. "I played a prince in one play Virgil," Roman practically growled back. "S-Sorry..But seriously. What's up?" Roman sighed again and rubbed his hands together (the way Logan also does when he's anxious btw..sorry, bye). "He's always working..He never comes." They were all silent the rest of the way home. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"He just doesn't think you want to be there for him Lo." Logan rubbed his hands together and looked over at Patton with guilt filled eyes. "Now, I'm not saying it's your fault dear. But maybe you should try to come," Patton calmly suggested as he placed his glasses on his nightstand. "Alright. I'll...I'll definitely think about it Patton." Logan also took off his glasses and sat down on the bed. "It is my fault though." Patton rolled over and grabbed his husbands hand. "No..It's not. You're an amazing Father Logan. You're just busy as well, and Roman's a kid." Logan nodded and laid down on his comfy pillows. "So, he's more sensitive and takes those things to heart." Logan nodded again and massaged his temple. "Are you okay?" Logan closed his eyes and shook his head. "How could I be such a terrible Father?" Patton scooted closer to Logan and kissed his cheek. "You're not terrible. You were away because of work because you want to provide for them. Not because you're out doing bad stuff. And that's a good parent in my book." Logan smiled and kissed the top of Patton's hand. "Goodnight my love." Patton chuckled fondly and cuddled even closer to Logan. "Love you too." 

 /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Alright Virgil and Roman's parents are next." Roman sighed as he looked at Patton. "I'm sorry he's not here kiddo..I'll do my best okay?" Roman nodded and Patton stood up and moved to the front of the class. "Hey kiddos, my names Patton. I'm Roman and Virgil's Dad unfortunately Logan couldn't-" The door opened and everyone turned to see a mildly distressed looking Logan walking in the door. "Am I late?" Roman gasped and ran up to the front of the class to hug Logan. "You're just on time Mr.Sanders." Logan hugged back as he kissed Roman's head. "Of course I came. If it is important to you, it's important to me." Roman smiled and ran back to his seat. "We're up dear," Patton whispered and Logan turned a deep shade of red. "O-Oh..Okay. Hello students I am Logan, Virgil and Roman's Father. I am a surgeon at the local hospital in town which means I work on the people who are hurt to the point where they need surgery to be able to heal properly. I actually have operated on two people in this room." Logan pointed to one of the parents in the back and smiled. "I helped pin Mr. Richardson's arm when he severely fractured it two years ago." Mr.Richardson nodded and smiled in appreciation. "Did an amazing job too Mr.Sanders." The class laughed and Logan looked at Virgil. "And the second one is my son, Virgil." Virgil blushed and looked down at the ground. "I uh...won't go into detail with what happened but I'm very thankful that by saving his life I was able to bring him into mine." The class awed and Virgil turned a dark red. "Aright any questions for Mr. Sanders can be answered during break if he's okay with that?" Logan nodded and went to sit down next to his children like the other parents. "And my names Patton, I'm a therapist meaning I talk with people about their feelings and help them handle all their negative thoughts." Patton quickly gave his family a loving glance. "I also have helped several people in this room. I'm not going to out them but-" One of the mothers in the back raised her hand. "He helped me." Another hand shot up and Patton's began to tear up. "He helped me." Soon most of the parents(including Logan and the teacher) and three of the students(including Roman and Virgil) had their hands up. "As..As you can see, I have a very important job," Patton's voice was filled with emotion as he looked at some of his current and previous clients. "If you have any questions or just need to talk, you can come to me during the break." The hands dropped when Patton sat down and hugged his family. Roman leaned in and whispered, "I love you." Then the bell rang.

 /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"Our parents both have very important jobs," Roman read from his paper as he looked at the class. "They both help people everyday and work on improving lives." Virgil took the paper with shaking hands and grabbed Roman's hand. "Not only d-do they help a-a-adults..but they also help u-us..and that can't be a simple task." The adults in the room chuckled and looked over at Logan and Patton who were both beaming proudly. Roman took the paper again and looked up. "They have inspired me to reach for my dreams and work hard not matter what, which is why I am continuing to pursue acting, theater and music." The parents laughed and the theater teacher did a fist pump. "Hallelujah!" Roman laughed and gave her the thumbs up before handing the paper to Virgil. "T-They have inspired me to...to be myself and help others..which is why I plan to b-become a social worker or a f-f-foster parent." Patton felt a tear fall down his cheek as the other parents applauded and his sons came back to sit with them. "I'm so proud of both of you." Roman looked over at Logan and smiled. "You came again." Logan smiled and embraced Roman tightly. "I've never been more proud of you Roman."