Please Listen

AN: thank you so much to all of you who gave me story suggestions, it was really appreciated. i took a small break from internet for a while so i have the stories all written down and now i'm just typing this out. thank you MagicalHudson for this idea.

TW: fighting, leaving, panic, the word damn(gaaasp)

"Vee, I thought this was the plan," Remy argued as they pulled into the college campus parking lot. "I thought this was the dream." Virgil sighed and turned on his blinker, tears in his eyes.

"Remy, you were so caught up in this plan that it didn't matter how many times I brought up what I wanted to do you completely ignored me." Remy looked out his window at the large lawn packed with students chatting and studying over laptops. The spring weather was perfect, and everyone was taking advantage of it. "I told you, over and over that I cannot afford to go here and that they don't have a lot of the classes I need and I don't want to go through the work of transferring credits." Remy also felt tears in his eyes. He knew he was in the wrong here. He had heard Virgil tell him that he wanted to try to find something different. But he was so convinced that Virgil would still come with him.

"Virgil, this has been the plan since freshman year."

"Damn it Remy, no. You're not listening again!"

"I am listening," Remy tried to defend, even though he knew he wasn't. He knew that Virgil wanted something else. "I just, why the sudden change?"

"It's not sudden," Virgil jerkily pulled into the first empty parking spot he found and stopped the car. "It's not sudden at all Remy."

"It is, you suddenly don't want to be with me." Virgil looked over at Remy and frowned.

"I never said that at all," he retorted as he pointed at himself. He then switched to pointing at Remy, "that's what you're hearing because you refuse to focus on anything else." Remy rolled his eyes and scoffed.

"You don't want to go to college together which means we're gonna be separate. We're not gon-"

"Remy..If you listened you would know that I want online college so that I can stay at home for a bit and work to afford a place." Remy paused and finally one of the walls in his mind dropped. He started actually listening. "I wanted to work, so I could afford a place for us. Because I'm trying to think into the future."

"But-"

"Also, the chances of us actually getting placed in the same dorm are so slim. And I fear that you're gonna get paired with someone and you're going to like them more than me." Remy didn't want to believe that. It didn't matter who his room mate was. He knew he would always choose Virgil. He stopped listening again.

"So now you think I'm a bad person?"

"Damn it Remy."

"Stop cussing."

"Damn," Virgil whispered. Over articulating and glaring at Remy. "Damn..It." Remy unbuckled and pushed open the car door.

"You know what Virgil, I'll call my Dad's and have them come pick me up. I don't need your attitude right now...I really just need to focus on the tour." Virgil was taken aback.

"Y-You don't want me to go with you?"

"Wouldn't want to waste your time with something you don't want. Who knows? Maybe I'll find someone who cares." With that, Remy grabbed his backpack, slammed the door and left. A small group of other high school teenagers were gathered by a small building that must've been the office. Virgil's brain was going faster than his car as he drove down the highway back to his house. Everything in him had wanted to follow Remy and apologize. But then he wondered if he had even done anything wrong. His heart was pounding and he didn't know why Remy had gotten so upset.

///

"Virgil," Roman whispered as he opened the door to his brothers room. "Dad told me to come and tell you dinner's ready." Virgil didn't move. He was still in his button up shirt and nice black jeans, he had wanted to look good to help Remy look good. His heart broke a little more at the thought of Remy and he forced down a large gulp of air. Hoping to press out the pain. "Verge?" Virgil rolled onto his side and made eye contact with Roman.

"I don't know what to do Romano." Roman closed the door behind him and made his way over to the bed, sitting on the edge and running a hand through his hair.

"Don't know what to do about what?"

"Remy," Virgil's voice broke and he quickly cleared his throat, trying to regain control of his emotions. "Remy got mad at me..And I don't know what I did wrong." Roman sighed and started rubbing Virgil's hand comfortingly.

"About what?" Virgil explained the whole situation to Roman. Trying to hold back tears by taking deep breaths and biting his tongue. Roman sat and listened, he could feel himself getting angrier every second.

"And I dunno. Maybe he's right. Maybe I don't care and I just always have a bad attitude and focus on only myself." Virgil was sitting up now and had traded his button up for his sweater.

"No." Virgil looked over at Roman and finally let a tear fall down his cheek.

"How do you know," he whispered. His voice showed how he truly felt. Scared, and defeated.

"Because Virgil. You were just trying to be listened to and Remy needs to be able to listen. If he can't listen then it's not gonna work." Virgil nodded and felt a weight on his chest. He wanted it to work so badly. Because even though he drove him up the wall and made dumb mistakes, Virgil still loved Remy. "I know you hate confrontation."

"That's an understatement," Virgil joked, feeling a lot better now that he had Roman by his side and he had just told someone how he felt. Roman chuckled and wrapped his arm around Virgil's shoulder.

"But you need to talk to him. Because I know you don't want to lose him. But if he doesn't realize he needs to change, you're going to have to do what's best for you." Virgil nodded again and buried his head into Roman's shoulder, tears flowing freely from his eyes.

"You're right."

///

"I know that you wanted to go to college together Remy," Virgil comforted as he pushed his legs out, propelling the swing backwards. "I also know that you want this to work." Remy also pushed his swing back and nodded.

"I do." Virgil kicked his foot around in the dirt as his swing came forward again and took a deep breath.

"But..But it won't if you can't learn to listen and compromise." Remy also took a deep breath and looked up at Virgil.

"Would you be willing to give me a second chance," Remy questioned quietly and hopefully.

"Oh Remy..It would be more like a twenty fifth chance," Virgil joked as he pushed his swing into Remy's. Remy chuckled a little bit and shoved back.

"Not funny, but I see the problem now." Virgil also chuckled and stopped his swing.

"I really want to stay with you Remy."

"And I want to stay with you Virgil." They both looked over at the park, both thinking about different things as they dropped their hands and interlocked their fingers.

Virgil was thinking about the fact that he had done it. He had confronted Remy and felt a newfound hope for the relationship.

And Remy was thinking about how he was going to change and knew that he never wanted Virgil to feel unheard or guilty about something that wasn't his fault ever again.

AN: i hope you liked it. thanks for reading, new stories will be out soon

-Talented_trash