The rain

Sad...just, sad. I'm working on a buncha fluff stories though.
-Talented_trash
TW: death

"Patton! Patton, Patton," Micah called out as he ran down the thin hallway.
"Micah, no running in the house!" Micah sharply turned the corner and knocked on Patton's door. "Patt, come on. Open up!" Patton opened his door slowly and laughed.
"Is there something you need dear brother?" Micah grabbed Patton's arm and pulled him into the hallway.
"Come on!"
"You look like you're gonna explode." Micah slowed to a brisk soccer mom walk as they passed their foster parents.
"Do you ever notice how amazing something is all at once?" Patton could think of a few things. The way you notice small things. You're smile, your joy, your life. You Micah. You're amazing.
"Yeah, I guess." Micah dragged Patton through the living room and out the front door.
"Well, look." A cold wind blew Patton's messy curls into his face and goosebumps formed on his arms. Raindrops fell all around and dropped off the edge of the roof. "Can I..can I tell you something Patt," Micah whispered solemnly as he turned to face his older brother.
"Of course,"  Patton knelt down so he was eye level with him. "You can tell me anything." Micah took a deep breath and closed his eyes.
"When you're dying, you notice things."
"Micah...please."
"You said I could tell you." Patton nodded and tried to swallow the dry lump in his throat.
"I...I did. Go on." He opened his eyes again and looked out at the rain.
"I notice the way the rain sorta sounds like that song mom used to sing before we went to bed. And the way the sun shines through my window and makes a small rainbow on my wall." Why does it have to be him?! He doesn't deserve this, Patton's thoughts screamed as he blinked back tears. Micah turned to him a smirked feebly. "You still smell like dads cologne." Patton smiled and chuckled.
"What does this have to do with-"
"I notice how many smiles you fake." Patton's smile dropped.
"Micah."
"Your eyes give it away." Patton looked out at the rain and let out a long exhale. "I love the rain Patt," his voice was chocked and tears fell fast and thick down his freezing cheeks. Patton wiped away one of Micah's tears and sniffled. "I...I don't wanna stop seeing the rain."
"Micah." Patton pulled his frail brother into a tight hug, trying not to fall apart.
"I don't want all of your smiles to be fake when I leave when I'm gone." A sob shook Micah's shoulders and Patton pulled him closer. "I don't wanna die!" Patton didn't know what to say. What are you supposed to say to your 10 year old brother with a terminal illness? Your brother who knows he only has about a month left? Patton didn't know. So he just hugged Micah and comforted his sobbing, distracting himself with the sound of the rain

1 year later

"It's raining," Patton stated as he and Logan stepped out of the school building.
"That it is." Patton took a deep breath and squeezed Logan's hand tightly.
"Lo, can I..can I show you something?" Logan gave him a concerned look and Patton forced a smile.
Your eyes give it away.
"Of course. Lead the way."

"Patt, why are we at a cemetery?"
"Hey kiddo," Patton whispered as he sat down next to a light blue tombstone.
Micah D. Sanders. Loving younger brother, courageous soul. You will be missed, Lohan read as he sat down next to Patton. "It's..it's raining." Tears came to his eyes and breathing became a difficult task as he strained to listen for the familiar tune his mother used to sing. "It does sound like her."
"Patton?"
"You liked the rain," Patton cried as he placed his head in his hands. Logan pulled Patton close to him as tears came to his own eyes. He remembered the first day he met Patton in art.
That was my younger brother Micah
"Oh Patton." Logan felt Patton's shoulders shaking and his heart breaking. After a couple minutes Patton had stopped crying and sat up again. "I'm..I'm getting better. I moved though. I'm not with Tim and Marci anymore and...I have a boyfriend, Logan." Patton placed his hand on top of the stone and chuckled weakly. "You would've liked him. You two are," Patton paused and sighed. "You two would've been very similar." Logan also placed his hand on the stone and closed his eyes, picturing the picture on Patton's notebook.
"I'm sure I would've liked you too Micah." Patton felt a warm tear fall down his cheek, but he also felt his smile.
"I'll visit ya next time it rains kiddo. I love you." Patton stood up and held out his hand to Logan.
"It was a pleasure meeting you." Logan took Patton's hand and pulled himself to his feet. "I'll take good care of him..I promise."