An Open Letter To Myself//32

Hmm... Peter tapped his hands on the keys of his computer and swung his head side to side in a fit of boredness. He scrunched and unscrunched his face thinking about what to write. Peter looked around and tried to gain some kind of inspiration.

"Ughhhh," Peter groaned, smacking his face. "Why is this so hard? All I have to do is write a stupid story about something and then turn it in to Mrs. Synder and hope I don't get a F. Why is this damn hard?" Peter relaxed back into the chair and sighed deeply. He leaned his head back and stared up at the ceiling.

Peter's eyes caught a Spiderman poster he had on his wall(He saw it at the grocery store and tried not to squeal and shout, so he bought it) and he flipped his body over, peeking over the back of his swivel chair.

The teenage boy furrowed his eyes brows and his eyes locked on the action poster with a drawn picture of him swinging with his webs.

It hit him like a train. Peter knew exactly what he would write about. Peter also knew that it wouldn't be easy to talk about, but he figured he knew enough on the subject that he could sound educated.

He turned back around in his chair and crouched over the keyboard typing his title.

"AN OPEN LETTER TO MYSELF." Was what was written on the doc.

"Hey you," Peter said out loud as he typed. Peter quickly deleted that. "You are me. Yeah nope not going to work," Peter scrapped that introduction.

Peter cracked his neck and regathered himself.

"Peter Parker. That's your—well—my name. We share it, because we are the same person, the only difference being that you are probably older and know so much more than I, but I hope we keep the same morals? I think I have pretty good morals anyways, so what's there to change?" The young teenager took a deep breath before stretching his fingers. This is going to be a journey.

"I hope I don't end up doing something I don't like, such as working in retail or... as a lawyer. If you're not a scientist, then what's the point? But you probably don't want to hear—well read—your past self putting you down. If you do end up doing retail or become a lawyer—oh how the mighty has fallen."

Peter laughed to himself and took a long sip of his tea. "I do not want to work in retail." Peter nodded solemnly, a small smile sparking in his angelic features.

"But I do hope that you kept in touch with MJ and Ned. If you haven't, please go find them. They're good alright? Keep 'em. If anything happens to them or you, do whatever you can to save yourself or them. Tony might not be a fan of putting friends before yourself, but who listens to Tony anyway?" Peter thought of the billionaire's angry faces whenever Peter was being self-destructive and hadn't put his health first. The teenage boy gave a nervous laugh when he thought of the yelling and berating and in some cases, crying.

"And hey. If anything happens to Tony," Peter sucked in a large breath. "Don't forget what Tony taught you."

The teenage boy picked up a picture frame with a picture of Tony and Peter smiling excitedly as they went out for ice cream and an amusement park. Peter had bought one of this spinny hats with the cheesy red, yellow, and blue colors and Tony had cat whiskers drawn on his cheeks(long story, don't ask). That was a really good day and Peter really enjoyed it.

"Never forget Tony. I mean it." Peter could already imagine his future-self laughing at that like "Oh wow I thought I would forget Tony? That idiot!" But in all honestly, Peter was really scared the billionaire would get in some sort of trouble that left Peter alone... and without his father and that Peter would eventually move on from the man.

"You and I both know that Tony can be real stupid sometimes and doesn't have that much regard for himself, but you gotta admit he's pretty freaking cool. And he's got mottos to live by. And he's Anthony Edward Stark, so there's no forgetting him.

"Please Peter, don't forget Bruce, or Thor. Aunt Natasha or Clint. Wanda or Sam. Rhodey and T'challa—AND NOT SHURI! OR UNCLE LOKI! Life is tough but those people are tougher! Stick by them, will you?

"I know I know life can be hard and intimidating and things can get really rough real quick. Things happen and we can't control them and it really sucks. But remember—be curious on what comes next. Like will it get better? Will everything turn out okay and everyone is safe and sound? What will it be like to have peace? I want to know for sure. That's why I'm checking in on you. Are you doing okay?"

Peter looked to the side as he stopped typing. He knows Mrs. Snyder knows he is Spiderman—as does the world—but what if what he was writing was personal? Well, she did ask to write a story from the heart and this is what had come out... Peter supposed it's okay.

"Don't give up Peter. Don't. I know it's totally possible that you might actually end up with a happy ending and that you don't need all this reassurance, but if you ever need assurance just know that your past self is totally rooting for you! You're doing great! Awesome in fact! Keep on going!" Peter felt kinda excited? For his future self? Knowing that he was trying to help himself in the future was kinda cool and reassuring that he knew someone(even if it was himself) rooted for him!

"Do not let Spiderman get to you, okay? I know there's gonna be times where you don't know what the heck you are doing and it can be scary. But you have a whole bunch of friends and family who have your back and will support you. There may be times where you don't feel like you live up to society's and even your standards, but know that your destiny is not set in stone and that things change and so you can lower your standards and grow up.

"There's gonna be times where you feel scared and alone and or you can't do anything, but you have the opportunity to fight those feelings and show 'em who is boss! You are Peter Parker! You are! You decide what you feel! You decide how you are going to live!

"You. Are. Strong."

Peter typed the last letter and leaned back in his chair, his chin on top of his folded hands. Peter's eyes darted from every sentence, scrutinizing every letter as if the letter was somehow Kanji or Thai. He leaned over to the laptop and gently closed it,

He'd write more when he wanted to.

~~~

"Hey, Tony?" Rhodey called out to the billionaire.

"Yeah?" Tony called back, jogging to where Rhodey was standing. Tony looked over Rhodey's shoulder to see a small packet with Peter's name on it with an A+ circled on the corner.

"An Open Letter To Myself." Tony read out loud.

"I wonder what this is," Rhodey mused and a small chuckle.

"I'm sure Peter would have showed it to us if he wanted us to know," Tony shrugged his shoulders and gently took the letter and set it down neatly on Peter's desk.

"Yeah, you're right," Rhodey said as he yawned. "I'm going to go to bed. Night Tones." Rhodey wandered out of the room and closed the door, leaving a only a crack left open.

Tony smiled down at the essay and sat down in Peter's swivel chair. The billionaire snuck a peek at the first paragraph, but ended up reading the entire five page letter.

Fin.

A/N: I was contemplating having it as Peter died and Tony read it out loud at his funeral but I decided that I would make this a little fluffier with a hint—no a dash—of angst.

Also, thank you guys so much for 70k reads this means a lot!