Books//41

"Hi, I'm Harley."

Peter stares blankly at him like "am I supposed to know this guy?"

"Uh, you don't know me, that's fine, but uh, I saw you at Tony's funeral and I was wondering how you knew him?" Harley said as he smiled awkwardly and held out his hand. Peter shook it firmly.

"Ah, yeah, Tony," Peter looked down before looking back up with a smile. "I'm not here to share my grievance with you, I'm just working my job."

Harley's smile wavered before he took a step back. "Yeah of course, I uh sure, yeah, I get it, yeah."

"Alright then, have a nice day," Harley left without a another word. Peter sighed against the counter before looking over and seeing a black wallet.

Peter hopped over the counter and picked it up. Looking inside, he realized this is was Harley's wallet.

"Fuck," Peter swore before running out the door and into the bustling city. Jumping up to see if he could find Harley's head, Peter ran through a crowd.

"Sorry, excuse me, ma'am," Peter frantically said as he passed the ongoing citizens. He practically fell out of the crowd and nearly missed the familiar coat of Harley.

"Harley! Wait up!" Peter yelled, cupping his hands to make it seem louder, but his voice was drowned out by the sound of cars, peoples, advertisements, and overall yelling.

Peter ran two blocks (nearly into a street post may I add) before he finally saw Harley fully and yelled his name.

Harley looked back, not realizing he was about to walk into the busy street. Peter, on instinct, shot a web and pulled Harley away. Harley landed hard and looked up to see Peter running towards him.

"Eh-?" Harley questioned before almost being slid into. Peter slid on his knees (ouch) and made sure Harley wasn't hurt too bad.

"Hi, sorry, you left your wallet at the store and I came running to find you," Peter rushed out handing Harley his wallet. Harley smiles before taking Peter's hand and standing up.

"I think we got off on the wrong start," Harley said as he plays with his fingers. Peter nodded sheepishly.

"Tony is kinda a hard subject for me, y'know?"

Harley nodded understanding.

"He was like a father," they both said at the same time.

A moment of silence passed before they burst out laughing.

"I think I owe you a coffee, Spider-Man," Harley offers his hand to shake and Peter shakes it.

"Just call me Peter. Peter Parker."

~~~

"So, Peter, what's your zodiac sign?" Harley asked as he took a sip of his coffee. Peter looked up from his own coffee and laughed.

"I'm a Libra I think," Peter guesses.

"When were you born?"

"August 27th," replies Peter.

"You, my kind prince, are a Virgo," Harley nodded happily. Peter let out a small chuckle.

"What about you then, sir knight?" Peter asks in return jokingly, as he takes a bite out of his scone.

"What about me?"

"What's your zodiac sign?"

"I'm uh, a Cancer," Harley says as he takes another long sip from his coffee. Peter nods along.

(I don't know if Harley is a Cancer, I couldn't find his birthday ANYWHERE, so here's what I got. :))

"I'm sorry for snapping at you back at the bookstore, I'm kinda sensitive with the whole Tony thing," Peter apologized. Harley rolled his eyes.

"You saved my life I think that kinda makes up for it," Harley remarks.

"I'm not usually like that," Peter promises,"Tony and I were really close and his... passing... is really hard I guess." Harley nodded understandably.

"After all, it's kinda my fault I guess."

Harley looked up at Peter like he was crazy. "Your fault?"

Peter closed his eyes before taking a deep breath. "I wasn't good enough and I couldn't save him-"

"Tony sacrificed himself to save the universe, none of this is your fault, how could you think that?" Harley interrupted hurriedly. Peter glance up at Harley alarmed.

"Because I-I wasn't there to help, I could've helped-"

"There was no other way, Tony did what he had to do-"

"You didn't know him like I did," Peter whispered. "I spent my entire life looking up to him, I became a hero and got to meet him, I let him down multiple times, he considered me his son and I considered him my father, tell me you knew him like I did."

Harley looked down. "Okay."

"Okay."

A moment of silence.

"He died for you."

"He what?"

"Tony loved you as his son, don't you think he was willing to die for you? So you could have a future?" Harley questioned.

Peter started. "I-"

"Only for you to wallow in self pity-Peter you can't blame yourself for him. He wanted you to be happy," Harley reasoned. Peter looked up at him, his eyes slightly watering.

"I'm sorry," Peter whispered. Harley nodded.

"The only apology is to Tony, right?"

"Yeah."

Peter took a bite of his scone and wiped his eyes.

"Sorry for making this awkward," Harley said as he scratched the back of his head with a guilty expression.

"It's fine, I needed to hear that anyway," Peter shook off with a lazy wave of a hand. Harley nodded as he gulped anxiously.

"Wanna, maybe do this again?" Peter looked up at Harley with curious eyes.

"Do what?" Peter's mouth was full so it sound like "fo fwat?

"Go out for coffee again," Harley clarifies.

"Are you asking me out on a date?" Peter asked, his lips curling into a playful smirk. Harley smiles awkwardly while nodding.

"I, uh, like you Peter, and I wanna get to know you."

"I do too."

Fin.

Extra snippet:

Tony looked down at the two as they set up a picnic in the park. They were laughing and having a good time.

"Dorks."

A/N: I'm really sorry for the wait, I'm practically the ruler of procrastination. :,).

gabrielsmessyhair i wrote this chapter for you. 🤠🤷‍♀️😚