Raging//43

Endgame spoilers

Peter always remembered when Aunt May would take him camping and the pair would sit around a campfire and make s'mores. He always remembered the flicker of the flames as it licked the air with heat. A controlled flame but a flame nonetheless. A flame that, if not kept properly, could take lives.

Peter would imagine the embers starting a fire outside of the metal ring and spreading so quickly that no one could stop it. But, they were responsible campers so that never happened to them.

But Peter would imagine. He would imagine the fire burning higher and higher into the sky until the sky was illuminated in red and orange. Ornate images dance in the flames and Peter would smile happily as he would reach out to touch the fire with his fingertips, but he would always be sucked back to the real world before he could feel the burn.

The flames danced in the night as Peter sat in his camping chair and relaxed back. He would glance over at May as she would take a long sip from her beer. Her face was illuminated by the flames and Peter could see every small detail on her face.

He'd smile and blink up at the stars and snuggle in closer to his blanket. The crickets would chirp and the bushes would rustle with animal activity but that didn't bother him. Peter wasn't bothered at all—in fact he enjoyed it very much.

But right here, right now, fire was different.

There was fire everywhere, unconfined and raging, all around. Peter could feel the heat rolling onto him like waves. Sweat gleamed on his skin as he shifted to his knees.

His face was caked with dirt and some blood but he wasn't really conscious of that at this moment.

Peter's stomach turned and toiled as he sucked in smoke filled air. His head was spinning and he didn't want to believe that everything that has happened is real.

There, under broken piece of Tony Stark's old penthouse laid the man himself. The man who somehow defeated Thanos, the titan that took his life and the lives of many others, and is somehow still breathing.

Everything felt like slow motion. The clouds seemed to slow and people around him who were walking or talking or even running where all just slow. So slow. Painfully slow.

"Tony?" Peter murmured dazed. Even from where he was, Peter could see that Tony was hurt and that scared him. That scared him a lot.

Peter, without even realizing, stood up and stumbled towards him, his throat thick.

Peter couldn't even begin to describe the horrific shape he was in. Half of his body was burnt and raw and bleeding. Tony himself was barely even there with half-lidded eyes and barely noticeable breathing.

"Hey, Hey Tony," Peter began panicky as he reached out and held Tony's cheek with his hand. "Hey, Tony we won, we won, you did it-" Peter felt a hand reach out and touch his shoulder and pull him away. Peter shook his head as he garbled out more in a frenzy.

"You're a hero, you're a hero Mr. Stark, you saved everyone, you saved me-" Peter desperately reaches out for him but he was pulled away from the dying man.

"No! No, no, NO!" Peter yelled and screeched as he tried to claw his way back to Tony. He-He had to be there for Tony, for everything that Tony has done for him Peter has to be there for Tony! He has to!

"Let me go!" Peter yelled and cried out. His breaths were short and frantic as he blinked fastly and tried to break free from whoever's hold.

"Hey Pete, calm down, you gotta calm down bud-" but Peter wouldn't listen. Everything was drowned out by this long continuous ring in his ear. It rang loud and it only got louder.

Bum badum bum badum Peter could heat his heart beat. He could hear it so clearly.

Peter breathed with it trying to calm himself down but then-

Bum.... badum.... bum..... badum Peter's eyes widened as the heartbeats got lighter and softer before a smaller whisper, barely even audible, came so clearly to Peter's ears.

"Pepper."

Bum...... badum....

Peter screamed and cried as the ringing sound came back and Tony's heartbeat was gone. The fire swallowed Peter whole as everything around him was drowned out by cries.

Annnnnd cut.

Guess who's camping??? Me!! I'm up in Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I'm super stoked. I touched Canada!!

This is super inspired by someone on Twitter I believe saying that Peter prolly heard Tony's heartbeat as it gave out,,,, soooo here that is. :)

ALSO ALSO ALSO if it gives you an idea of how many chapters I don't have published. This is my 90th part, :)