I dont get it//37

By all means was Peter deserving of love and affection. Sweet boy right? So why didn't he have a soulmate like the others? The boy tore himself to pieces realizing his red string of fate would never manifest and that he'd just die by himself with no one to turn to.

In this world, by the age of 5, you get a singular(sometimes two depending) red string on your index finger. As you near your soulmate, the string tightens and starts to glow. Then when you are romantically touching in some way, the string would disappear, leaving a red tattoo in its wake. No one knows when this started or how for that matter, only that everybody wants to find their soulmate.

So why? Why didn't Peter get his string? He's 16 and without a soulmate, the world forever hating him for being different. Though many fought for their rights as human beings rather than freaks. Which people like Peter aren't.

"Aunty? Why don't I have a soulmate?" Little Peter had tugged at May's pants his little bottom lip quivering. May had pursed her lips and picked him up into her arms.

"Well," she had said. "Not all people are born equal and that's why some people have advantages at some areas, in this case, soulmates." Peter's eyes watered.

"But, but I want a soulmate," Peter had complained, his brown doe eyes watering. May heaved a great big sigh before setting him down. She crouched low to his level, her eyes earnest.

"Are the kids at your school giving you a hard time, Pete?" May had asked. Peter meekly nodded. "Well, you gotta show them that you are amazing soulmate or not. You are strong," she bopped his nose. He wrinkled up in laughter, his giggles light and feathery. "And handsome," she bopped his cheek, another giggle from the child. "And unique." May gathered Peter into a hug to which Peter hugged back excitedly.

"Okay, I'll tell on them!" Peter grinned, his eyes twinkling. May merely laughed ruffled his hair a bit.

"Why don't you go play with your toys, okay Pete?" May took Peter's tiny little 5 year old hands and guided him to his play room. Peter nodded furiously and skipped the way there.

I'm so sorry Peter that the world had to put you at an unfortunate position, May thought as she watched Peter play with his Ironman doll. Pursuing her lips, she turned around and left.

~~~

7/8 years old

~~~

Peter mindlessly played with his Ironman doll making little sound effects as he waved the doll around. And that's when he bumped into another kid. Fallling down with a plop, Peter and kid both bounced backwards blinking at each other. Peter burst out laughed just as the other kid did as well. Peter scrambled up and held his hand out to help the kid up.

"My name is Peter!" Peter grinned from ear to ear, eyes crinkling, and cheeks rosy. The boy giggled and took Peter's hand as Peter pulled him up.

"My names' Ned," Ned smiled as he peered at Peter's wrists where he saw lack of red string. Ned glances back up and blinked confusedly.

"I don't have a soulmate," Peter muttered, his eyes downcast. He wasn't really expecting anyone who was willing to be his friend despite not having a soulmate.

To Peter's surprise, Ned shrugged. "It's okay, I don't really care. Soulmates shmolates." Ned waved his hand dismissively. Now it was Peter's turn to blink confusedly.

"You... don't care?" Peter's eyes pricked with tears. Nobody besides May had not cared about his lack of soulmate and continued to even talk to him.

"Of course not silly!" Ned giggled childishly. "It's not worth it to lose a new best friend!" Ned held his hand out, his eyes set determined. His whole demeanor changed.