03. the day the world ended

C H A P T E R  3

❛ the day the world ended.

 ❜

QUINN

     WHEN THE WORLD ENDED, QUINN WAS AT HOME. Nothing about how her day had been going so far even suggested that the apocalypse was upon them. She'd gone to work in the morning and returned from her boring job behind the scenes of the local theater late that afternoon. The feeling of jealousy when seeing the gracious ballerinas on stage never faded, knowing that in another life, it could have been her standing there. Ever since her brother had been arrested she hadn't even looked at the white powder that used to be her life. She was slowly trying to rebuild her broken life. Now all her days went by at a slow, but steady pace, every day the same, every day another battle against her own dark thoughts.

The sound of the television echoed through the living room as she stood in the kitchen, cooking dinner for herself. Quinn had never been particularly good at cooking, but it wasn't like she had the money to eat out every day. As long as nothing tasted burned she was satisfied. While the newscaster kept talking about some problem with the CDC, Quinn put her food on a plate and took it with her towards the living room, ready to search for something more fun on tv when her attention was captured by the next words spoken by the newscaster: "Authorities are warning everyone to stay inside and keep the roads free so the army will be able to pass through."

Putting her plate on the table she leaned closer to the television, dread growing in her stomach. Footage of helicopters flying over cities was shown and her frown became deeper when she noticed one of those cities was her own...