64. piece by piece

64. piece by piece

 piece by piece

QUINN

     'SO, ITS WAS YOU TWO AND BETH AFTER?' Carol questioned as they made their way through the darkness after the car with the white cross.

Quinn didn't bother answering. She didn't feel like talking, afraid that if she opened her mouth her food would come out. She was nervous and couldn't say why. Which made her only more nervous. Now that they had a chance to find Beth again, a real chance, she suddenly felt sick with fear about the wellbeing of the teenager they lost.

'Yeah,' Daryl replied to Carol's question instead and through her nerves she almost felt jealous. He talked so easily with the woman but when he was with her it felt like she had to remove a thousand obstacles to get a word out of him, time and time again. But her worry for Beth drowned out the jealousy. It faded before she even truly realised it'd been there in the first place.

'You save her?'

'She's tough,' Daryl replied, 'she saved herself. We were out there for a while. We got cornered and...Don't know she was gone. I came out and a car's pullin' out with a white cross on the window.'

Her body tensed at the story, remembering the night and she felt a stab in her heart. She was suppose to protect her, but she failed. All she could try to do now was make up for it, and driving through the darkness to an unknown location seemed like a pretty good start.

'Just like that one?' Carol asked, despite knowing the answer.

'Yup,' Daryl replied. His eyes drifted to Quinn for a second but she kept her gaze on the road, not wanting him to see all the emotions she was pretty sure were written all over her face.

'Rick's gonna wonder where we went,' he continued and she shivered at the thought of the people they left behind. She could only imagine how Milo would react. Thinking about it made her feel an icy stab of guilt and so she pushed those thoughts into the back of her mind. 'Tank's runnin' low.'

'We can end this quick. Just run him off the road,' Carol suggested.

'No,' Quinn finally spoke, slightly startled by the harsness in her own voice. 'If we do that we might never find her. If the assholes don't talk we're back to square one.' She fell silent before adding quietly. 'I'm not losing her again.'