34. thirty days

34. thirty days

 thirty days

QUINN

     IN HER DREAMS SHE WAS HAUNTED BY THEIR FACES. Andrea's blue eyes would stare at her in accusation, blaming her for leaving her to die. Merle would shout at her, wording all of the things she already thought about herself. The Governor would grin at her, before wordlessly slicing her throat, making her wake in cold sweat, unable to fall back asleep. The never ending nightmares had been part of the reason she'd taken as much night shifts as she could. Standing on top of the guardtower, letting the cold night air fill her lungs calmed her and drove the remaining fear of her night terrors from her mind.

It was the very reason she was currently facing the cold night air on top of the nothern tower, facing the treeline beyond the fences. In the thirty days that had passed since the fight with Woodbury, the prison had transformed into a whole other place. Under the ever watchful eye of Hershel, Rick had planted an entire garden of crops, tomatos, cucumbers and other food. They even found some pigs on a farm had built a small shed for them. The once grim courtyard had turned into a market with tables for people to sit and a grill where food was cooked. She'd never thought it was possible to turn a prison into a cozy home, but somehow they had managed to do so anyway.

Besides the people from Woodbury some people they found on the road had found a home here as well. The prison had turned into a refuge for many. It made her so proud, knowing they managed to achieve what Andrea had died believing in. At the same time she knew it wasn't thanks to her efforts this had happened. Until about a week ago she'd spent most days out on the road, together with Michonne and Daryl. The three of them had been determined to find the Governor and make him pay for everything he'd done. She'd hoped finding him might put an end to her nightmares, set her free from the guilt she felt everytime she so much as looked at Andrea's grave.

But that wasn't the only reason. She couldn't help but feel like she owed Merle a debt. She'd been the one to encourage him to find Daryl, to reconnect with his brother and he'd died before he'd ever gotten a real chance to do so. And so she'd taken it upon herself to watch over Daryl. To make sure she had his back out there, make sure he was doing okay. And so when he decided to go out there, she'd felt obliged to join him.

However, the world was wide and filled with many dangers and eventually Milo had managed to talk her out of chasing some fantasy of revenge. She didn't believe her talents could be useful to the community otherwise but help had come in the unexpected form of Daryl Dixon. Apparently he had enough of chasing ghosts as well and together they'd set up a crew to make runs, scavenge whatever they could. She belonged out there and this way she could put her talents to use. For the first time in her life she felt like she had a purpose and it was the most wonderful freedom she'd ever felt.