37. council meetings

 council meetings

MILO

     TURNING THE PENCIL OVER AND OVER IN HIS fingers he tried to listen to Carol, but his mind kept wondering back to the crying kids and bloody corpses from this morning. Somehow the image was burned in his mind and refused to leave, no matter how hard he tried. He had spend so much time with the council to make sure these people were safe, he had sat through so many gatherings worrying about food and water only to see it crumble within in seconds.

'Patrick was fine yesterday,' Carol spoke, 'and he died overnight. Two people died that quick?'

Milo looked up from the pencil in his hands, his eyes scanning the people sitting around the table. Carol with her determined but worried gaze. Daryl, always with that alert spark in his eyes. Sasha with her fiery expression. Glenn, looking worried and tired. Hershel with his wise and calming features and finally himself. They were the counsil and were expected to handle these kind of situations even though he felt completely at loss how to handle this.

After the fight with the Governor Hershel had asked Milo to become part of the council, for reasons still unknown to him, and he said yes. He was more than willing to help turn the prison into a thriving community. It felt like he was honoring Axel and Oscar by doing so and of course all the other people that had died.

'We'll have to seperate everyone that's been exposed,' Carol said, making Milo turn to look at the woman.

'That's everyone in that cell block,' Daryl mumbled, 'that's all of us, maybe more.'

'We know that this sickness can be lethal,' Hershel spoke up. 'We don't know how easily it spreads. Is anyone else showing symptoms that we know of?'

Shaking his head Milo frowned, they didn't even know what the symptoms were. How could they determine who had them?

'We can't just wait and see,' Carol interjected, 'there's children. It isn't just the illness, people die they become a threat.'

Hershel nodded before saying: 'We need a place for them to go. They can't stay in D. We can't risk going in there to clean it up.'