74. the eye of the hurricane

 the eye of the hurricane

QUINN

      MORNING CAME WAY TOO QUICKLY, the sun already out and shining brightly again. Rick didn't give them much time to wake and got everyone up and moving again, like he did everyone morning. Quinn knew why, the longer they lingered the harder it would be to get moving, but that didn't mean her protesting limbs liked it.

Soon they were on the move again, walking down the asphalt towards a city that felt like it was located at the other side of hell. The Georgian summers were always hell but Quinn couldn't remember the last time it was this bad. Of course the weather decided to screw them the moment they had no means of escaping the blistering heat.

The road made a turn and they followed it without question but once they were around the corner Rick suddenly froze in his movements. Everyone came to a halt and Quinn stood on her toes to see what had stopped him. A frown appeared on her face as he slowly moved forwards, his hand lingering near his weapon. No one questioned him and the entire group turned ready for war within seconds. It was only when they reached whatever it was that had their leader so on edge that Quinn could see what it was.

A pack of water bottles stood in the middle of the road.

It was just standing there, like it had appeared out of thin air. Only, it hadn't, which was exactly the reason her hands were wrapped around the hilt of her dagger.

Rick took another step forwards and picked up a piece of paper that was put on top of the bottles. 'From a friend,' he read, looking up again his eyes were narrowed in suspicion, searching the treelines as if the person responsible could appear any second.

'What else are we gonna do?' Tara was the first one to break the silence.

'Not this,' Rick answered, still looking around. 'We don't know who left it.'

'If that's a trap we already happen to be in it,' Eugene reasoned, eyes fixed on the water in front of him. 'But, I, for one would like to think it is indeed from a friend.'

'What if it isn't?' Carol countered. 'What if they put something in it?'

Quinn saw no reason why anyone would go through the trouble of poisoning them while they could just as easily have killed them all while they slept. And yet she made no move to convince Rick to drink the water. Someone who left water on the road for strangers was either very stupid or really smart. And until they knew which, she wasn't planning on taking a sip, no matter how much her body longed for it.