06. the ballerina and the samurai

C H A P T E R  6

the ballerina and the samurai. ❜

 ❜

QUINN

     THE FIRE CRACKED, SPITTING OUT ITS SPARKS into the dark night sky. They danced through the darkness like little fireflies, carried away by the wind. Quinn followed them with her eyes until they disappeared, leaving nothing but the smell of smoke behind. The warmth of the flames wrapped itself around her like a blanket while the shadows of the forest danced around her. When another one of the sparks she'd been staring at disappeared she turned her eyes back on the woman seated on the other side of the glowing flames.

They had barely spoken a word since they met each other on the road. She only knew the woman's name, Michonne, and didn't need to know much more. Quinn wasn't planning on sticking around, so there really wasn't any need to familiarise herself with the samurai. She could almost hear her brother's voice loud and clear in her head, as if he was sitting next to her. "When something happens, you search for a safe place. You trust no one until you reach a safe place..." His advice had kept her alive.

Over the years she'd made many allies. Their homes became safe holds for her to go to whenever a deal had gone wrong and Marcus would kill everyone who dared to come near him. Or whenever her father drank too much and felt the need to remind her of her mother's death with his fists. It never made sense to her why he blamed her for it. The pregnancy hadn't been easy and ended with her mother needing a c-section. Quinn had survived the operation, a healthy, and more importantly alive, baby. However her mother lost her life on that operation table. It was nothing Quinn could have even come close to try and stop. Yet her father seemed to blame her for it, and never let her forget it. She'd spent a few blissful years in the house of her aunt and uncle, until they got children of their own and she'd been placed back in the care of her father. Life had only gotten worse from that point on, the only source of light was dancing. After she found her mother's ballet shoes, it was all she did, day in and day out. But that too had been destroyed...