16. part of the group

C H A P T E R   1 6

❛ part of the group ❜

MILO

     THE HEAVY SILENCE THAT LINGERED IN THE courtyard was only interrupted by the small cries of the newborn baby. Rick's sobs had died down and now the man was sitting on his knees, his eyes empty. He seemed completely unaware of his surroundings, locked in a prison of grief.

Slowly Daryl walked forwards, kneeling down in front of his friend. 'Rick? Ya with me?' He waved his hand before Rick's eyes but no response came. 'Rick?'

Milo looked away from the broken man, unable to bear the sight of his grief any longer. His eyes were drawn to the girl instead. Carefully and tenderly she placed the baby in Carl's arms as he looked at it with both wonder and fear. The little baby girl continued to cry, stirring restlessly in her brother's arms, as though she could feel the hole her birth had left in the family standing around her.

'Let me see the baby,' Hershel said.

Carl obeyed and walked over towards the older man.

'We gotta feed it,' Daryl spoke, walking away from Rick. It seemed he had concluded he couldn't do anything to help his friend right now and so he decided to focus his energy on helping the little girl instead. 'We got anything a baby can eat?'

Hershel reached out, examining the baby in a professional manner. He must have been some kind of doctor before all this mess. 'The good thing is she looks healthy,' he stated. 'But she needs formula and soon or she won't survive.'

Daryl gave a firm shake of his head. 'No, no way, not her.' He threw the strap of his crossbow over his shoulder. 'We ain't losing anyone else. I'm going for a run.'

'I'll back you up,' the girl said, her voice much stronger and her tears gone, although her eyes were still red.

'I'll go too,' the asian kid added.

'Okay.' Daryl nodded, then he turned to Beth and whispered something to her.

Milo looked back at Rick, feeling his worry for him grow. He was looking around in a daze, his eyes unfocused and his body slightly swaying.