12. woodbury

C H A P T E R  12

❛ woodbury ❜

QUINN

     THE FIRST THING QUINN BECAME AWARE OF was the soft mattress beneath her aching body. It was a strange sensation after sleeping on the floor for months. A few weeks ago she would have given everything to sleep on a soft mattress again, now it felt as if she was sinking through the floor.

Slowly she opened her eyes, afraid the light would hurt too much, as it did almost every morning. Now, however, the expected ache didn't come. She felt numb and bruised but she wasn't in pain.

Frowning, she looked around at the small room with its yellow walls and medicine cabinets. It looked like a hospital. Swallowing her questions she tried to sit up only to feel something sting in her arm. Her breath caught in her throat upon seeing the infusion she was attached to. Panic flared up in her stomach like a wild fire as she looked at the bag with the word morphine written on it. Immediately she started clawing at it, pulling the needle out of her arm with a small yelp before tossing it aside.

'No, no, no, no,' Quinn kept on mumbling, sitting up straight on the bed. She could only hope there wasn't too much of it in her system. A small part of her knew she was reacting ridiculously but the fear of wanting more and more was like a living beast inside of her stomach, clawing around, trying to escape.

She closed her eyes and forced herself to focus on her breathing. Slowly she inhaled, held her breath and exhaled again. She repeated the process until she felt calm again. She opened her eyes again and leaned back against the pillow, a sigh escaping her lips.

For a moment she'd been thrown back into the past so violently that every bit of rationality left her mind. Now, looking back on it, she knew she was going to be just fine. She could handle a little bit of morphine. She was going to be okay.