33. the end and a new beginning

 the end and a new beginning

QUINN

     QUINN LEANED HER HEAD AGAINST THE WINDOW of the car as they drove down the road. She had been hesitant to go to Woodbury, but at the same time she was eager to end it. The endless feeling of a threat hanging over their heads was exhausting and after the Governor killed Merle she wanted nothing than for him to be gone. Yet she had a horrible feeling in her stomach that she couldn't shake. She had no idea where it came from, or what it was trying to warn her for. All she knew was that getting rid of the Governor was probably the only way for her to truly feel safe again.

The loud sound of Daryl's motorcycle echoed through air and her stomach tightened. He had barely even looked at her since Merle died. They had walked away from Merle's body in silence, neither of them saying a word until they reached the prison. None of the others had been saddened by the news, not that Quinn had expected them to be. They felt sorry for Daryl but couldn't give a shit about losing Merle.

Maybe that's why she thought Daryl would've wanted to talk to her. Since she was the only one who cared as well but he hadn't. In fact it almost seemed like he was avoiding her. She hadn't tried to talk to him, figuring he needed his space and knowing he didn't like talking all that much anyway. She didn't understand anything the man did but had secretly hoped to find a moment to talk with him about what happened. To explain to him that somehow Merle meant something to her and that he wasn't alone in trying to give his death a place in his life.

But something told her Daryl wouldn't want to hear it and that's why she hadn't said a thing. She had kept her distance and figured that if he ever felt the need to talk to her, or stare at her angrily at mumble incomprehensible, he would come to her.

Suddenly Rick stopped the car, making her frown and shift in her seat to look out of the front window. One of the Governor's vehicles was parked in the middle of the road before them and another one was parked beside it.

'What the hell?' Milo mumbled.

Rick opened his door, stepping outside, followed by the rest of the group. Quinn looked around carefully as they walked forwards, her eyes falling on a walker that was eating from a dead body lying on the ground. Daryl shot it down as Michonne walked up to behead another and it was only then that she noticed the entire road was filled with bodies. They lay scattered across the asphalt as walkers teared the flesh from their bones.