51. fall apart

51.
fall apart

QUINN

     'I'M GOING AS FAST AS I CAN,' BETH SIGHED, shuffling after Quinn and Daryl through the hallway.

'Maybe you could just lift her up,' Quinn grinned, looking at Daryl.

The man sighed deeply before walking towards Beth and lifting her up in his arms. The girl laughed as he walked towards the kitchen where Quinn had put a meal together for them all earlier. She followed them inside the room, watching as Daryl set Beth down a chair, before sitting down herself.

'So, what's on the menu today?' Beth asked, smiling at Quinn.

She cleared her throat before pointing to the table. 'Well, we've got peanut butter with pig's feet and diet coke.' Falling silent she frowned, once the words settled in she realised how disgusting that actually sounded.

'All right,' Daryl broke the silence, clearly not bothered by the weird combination of food, 'let's eat.'

Shaking her head, she supressed a smile and reached for the peanut butter jar but just as she was about to open it the sound of rattling cans came from outside. Her hand immediately went to her dagger as her entire body tensed up.

Daryl stood up, reaching for his crossbow before pointing at Beth. 'Stay.' Then he turned around and ran to the front door with Quinn on his heels.

He threw a glare over his shoulder at her as she stood with her dagger raised, she nodded at him, making him turn back forwards and open the door slowly. She took a step forwards, her eyes widening when she saw what had made the cans rattle.

'It's just a damn dog,' Daryl called out to Beth before kneeling down and trying to get the animal closer. But the dog just barked before running off.

'He wouldn't come in?' Beth's voice came from behind them, making the two of them turn around while Daryl closed the door again.

'I told you to stay back,' Daryl said.

'Yeah,' she started, 'but, Daryl, you said there was a dog.'

'Maybe he'll come back,' Quinn said then gestured towards the door. 'Come on, I've got a whole jar of peanut butter waiting for me.'

They headed back towards the kitchen, taking a seat behind the table again and started to eat their meal. Quinn was too hungry to worry about the weird combination of flavors.