20. when the dead come knocking

C H A P T E R  2 0

❛ when the dead come knocking ❜

QUINN

     SHE STOOD UP FROM HER POSITION BEHIND the car and made her way towards the baby formula that was left behind in the red shopping basket on the side of the road. All while keeping a firm grip on her dagger and an eye out for if Merle decided, for some reason, to turn the car back around. But everything stayed quiet. She picked up the basket and turned to look at Michonne, determination burning in her eyes.

Michonne didn't protest and with a nod of understanding they started making their way down the street. They both knew this was what needed to be done. Even if those people hadn't been part of Andrea's group, they still had a baby that needed this formula. Plus two of their group were taken and they would never find out where to if Quinn and Michonne wouldn't help them out. Of course their reasons weren't completely selfless. They needed a place they could safely hole up for a while. To heal and gather their strength.

Still, the need to help others was such a foreign feeling to her. She used to think she only cared about herself. Then Michonne and Andrea came along and proved her wrong, and now she was bringing baby formula to complete strangers. When the world ended a lot of things had changed and now it seemed she was starting to change too. She just didn't know if it was for better or for worse. She couldn't really afford to care about others in a world as cruel as this one and yet, for the first time in her life, she did.

The walk to the prison lasted hours, at least that was what it felt like to her exhausted body. She could smell her own sweat, mixed with the horrible smell of the walker blood she was covered in. Even the fact that it kept the walkers away wasn't enough to make it bearable anymore. She preferred fighting to stumbling around like she was a corpse herself.