81. never truly safe

 never truly safe

MILO

     'I SAW THE GRENADES,' GLENN SPOKE WITH A SHAKING VOICE. 'Tried to stop him,' he added, staring in the distance without really seeing something. 'Nicholas was gonna run.'

He shared a quick glare with Rick before turning his eyes back to his broken friend seated before him. About an hour ago Glenn, Eugene, Nicholas and Tara had returned from what should've been a simple run. They were supposed to pick up a component to fix the solar panels. But the mission had gone horribly wrong and both Aiden and Noah had lost their lives. Tara was heavily injured, a wound on the head. She hadn't opened her eyes since the group had returned. And the reason they lost two people? Because Aiden and Nicholas couldn't muster the courage to be out there, because they were afraid. Because two incompetent people had been out there, his friends had been in danger. One was in a coma, the other had lost his life...

'But we made him stay,' Glenn mumbled, sounding like he honestly regretted doing so. 'Couldn't get Aiden out of there without help. All he had to do was hold the door. But he panicked. Noah...' Tears gathered in his eyes and Milo reached out, placing his hand on Glenn's shoulder while trying his hardest to swallow his own tears and stay strong for his friend. 'I had him. I had his hand. I tried.' He took a shaky breath. 'I watched him die.'