13. tension rising

C H A P T E R  13

❛ tension rising ❜

QUINN

      'IT'S REAL, ALL OF IT, YOU'VE BEEN OUT THERE for a long time and while you were the Governor was doing this.'

Quinn was barely paying attention to the woman showing them around. She was too busy taking in all the things happening around her. The people walking around like the world hadn't ended, the small market in the middle of the street. It was perfect, too perfect, nothing was perfect anymore in this world and that worried Quinn.

'How many people do you have here?' Andrea asked their guide.

'73,' she answered and then nodded at a woman with a large belly. Quinn swallowed uneasily looking at the pregnant woman. She simply couldn't imagine having to carry life inside of you when everything around you was dead. 'Eileen is about to pop so her kid will make it 74. It's still a work in progress but Rome wasn't built in a day.'

'That's a bold comparison,' Andrea said.

'I think we've earned it,' the woman continued. 'The walls haven't been breached in well over a month. We haven't suffered a casualty on the inside since early winter.'

'How's that possible?' Quinn asked, feeling herself growing more suspicious with every bit of perfection she saw and judging by the tense form of Michonne beside her, she felt the same way.

'Our Governor has a strict curfew. Nobody out after dark, noise and light kept to a minimum. Armed guards on the fence and patrolling the perimeter to keep the biters away.'