65. thieves and devils

 thieves and devils

QUINN

     SHE WAS THE FIRST ONE TO WALK AWAY from the fire, back inside to the room they spend the night. She felt confused about everything, all her emotions, every move she made, it all made her feel lost.

'That car was headed downtown,' Daryl spoke up from behind her, slightly startling her out of her thoughts. He started packing his stuff and she followed his example. 'I say we get up in one of 'em tall ones, get ourselves a view, see what we see.'

'We can stay close to the buildings and keep quiet,' Carol agreed, throwing her backpack over her shoulders. 'But sooner or later, we're gonna be drawing them.'

Quinn sighed and nodded before making her way after the two of them out of the building. In the light of the sun the streets only seemed that much scarier. The stench of death hung like a impenetrable fog in the air and it made her nose itch. She didn't say a word though as they moved through the streets, trying to find a building that was high enough to get a good view over the city.

They came at a crossroads and Daryl gestured for them to stop before looking around the corner. Quinn didn't need to look to know there was a small herd of walkers crowding the street. She could hear their moans and smell their decayed flesh from this distance just fine.

'All righ',' Daryl said, taking a step back and turning back to them. 'We can get up there. There's a bridge.' He took his backpack off his shoulder and pulled out a few papers and a lighter. He set the paper on fire and threw it out on the street, the fire soon spreading to the surrounding cardboard and plastic. The walkers stumbled towards it like a moth was drawn to a flame.

The redneck gestured for them to start moving and as quiet as possible they ran down the street. She held her dagger tightly, keeping her gaze focused on the street surrounding them.

Daryl lead them into an underground parking lot, shooting a walker in the head that came stumbling towards them and taking the arrow back out before running on.

They found the stairs that lead up into the building and made their way towards the bridge Daryl had spotted on the street. Once they reached it though, they stopped.

The ground was covered in walkers trapped in sleeping bags, trashing around at the sight of a possible meal. Further down the bridge even stood a few tents. It appeared as though this bridge had been a shelter once.