05. who the hell are you?

C H A P T E R  5

❛ who the hell are you? ❜

QUINN

    THE ROAD BEFORE HER WAS COMPLETELY EMPTY as she pulled the car to a stop. She reached for the backpack on the seat next to hers and pulled out an apple. Then she opened the door, stepped outside and took a seat on the hood of the car. Biting in the fruit, she reached in her pocket and pulled out the map the soldier had given her all those weeks ago. Quinn felt slightly stupid for still looking at it. The two safe zones, the FEMA camp and the army base she'd run into so far were all overrun. She'd managed to scavenge some food and even a gun but was forced to leave each time.

The dead had taken over the world in a matter of days. Everything she'd seen so far was completely gone. She wondered if there was anything left, anywhere. Whether it was just America that had been hit or other continents as well. It made her brain hurt to think about it and so she pushed those thoughts out of her mind and focused on the map again. She knew she couldn't stay on the road forever. Somewhere along the way there had to be a place to settle. To try and make things slightly normal, but so far she hadn't run into anything. She hadn't seen anyone for days and she'd never felt more alone. Her eyes scanned the lines on the blood stained map, blood of a soldier long gone now. She had forgotten the date, the time, every day just felt the same now. Surviving, that was all that mattered. She couldn't think about anything else. Find food, find water, find gas, move on.

A small sigh left her mouth and she gazed up to the horizon stretching out before her. Was she the only human left standing? Was Milo still locked in that prison while the world around him had died? The questions were slowly consuming her, driving her crazy but she couldn't let them get the best of her, she refused to.