63. the road to madness

 the road to madness

MILO

     WITH HIS AXE IN ONE HAND, AND A knife in the other he followed Abraham into the bookstore. They had choosen the building as their hotel for the night, mostly because of the practical view it had on the surrounding streets and two exits. Darkness had already fallen and his legs felt heavy from all the walking they had done after the accident. He could use some rest.

'Let's go,' Abraham said, calling the others inside after him.

Milo entered the building, watching as Abraham moved left and so he moved right, hearing the others move behind him. With their weapons raised they did a quick sweep of the room, but it appeared to be empty and so they lowered their weapons and started making it secure.

They covered the windows, moved closets around to make sure they could see the entire room. Eugene got a small fire going with a battery and some paper. All while Abraham hummed a song.

When everyone was settled in, Milo took his position at the only window that wasn't covered, scanning the streets for any signs of danger. Abraham stood next to him, his had been stitched by Rosita with the thread of a book cover. Funny how anything could be useful when you had nothing else.

He got startled out of his thoughts by a walker throwing himself at the window. Even though he had lost count of the amount of corpses he'd seen, he still felt his stomach turn in disgust by the sight of the milky white eyes. The gap where once a nose had been and the decayed flesh that melted so far in the Georgian heat, that actual holes had appeared in his skin.

The sound of the corpse thumping against the glass and biting his teeth into the air, made Glenn move over towards the two men. In silence they stared at the walker, watching until it finally gave up and turned to follow some other sound that came from down the street.

Milo relaxed his grip on his axe, not even noticing until now how tight he'd been holding it. By now it had become second nature to hold his weapon close.

'Hey,' Abraham spoke quitely to Glenn now that the walker was gone. 'Thank you,' he added when Glenn had returned the greeting. 'Both of you.'

'For what?' Milo asked.

'For showing up,' the soldier explained. 'It took a little horse trading to get you here, but it's plain as potatoes to me now. You two get it. Coulda' lit out after the crash, made a case, but you stayed.'