44. tracking skills

44. tracking skills

 tracking skills

QUINN

     THE SOUND OF A THOUSAND CRICKETS SURROUNDED them as they sat by a small fire. The sky was dark and she couldn't see more than a few feet away from her. She was playing with her dagger, pushing it into the ground and taking it out again, over and over as the three of them sat in silence.

They had barely spoken a word since they found each other and Quinn had been glad for the silence. Too afraid that if she opened her mouth she would start crying again.

She was glad that Daryl and Beth found her, she couldn't even begin to imagine having to be out here by herself, not knowing if anyone had even made it. Still, she couldn't stop worrying. It made her stomach ache and her head pound.

'We should do something,' Beth suddenly spoke, making Quinn look up at her but she didn't respond, unable to find the strength in herself to even hope someone else had made it out. 'We should do something,' Beth repeated when neither Daryl or Quinn responded. 'We aren't the only survivors. We can't be. Rick, Michonne, they could be out here. Maggie and Glenn could have made it out of A block.'

Quinn bit her tongue, not knowing what to say. It was too good to be true for them all still be alive. She wanted to believe it, she wanted to so badly, but she just couldn't.

'They could've,' Beth pressed when neither of the adults answered.

'Maybe,' Quinn mumbled, her voice hoarse.

Beth nodded at her before standing up and looking at Daryl. 'You're tracker. You can track. Come on!'

Quinn looked at Daryl, who sat still as a statue, staring into the fire. She couldn't tell what was going on in the man's mind but he clearly didn't feel like tracking for something that might not even be there, in the darkness.

'The sun will be up soon. If we head out now, we can...' she stopped speaking when Daryl didn't even look at her. 'Fine,' she snapped. 'If you won't track, I will.' Picking up her knife from the ground she turned around, disappearing into the darkness.

Sighing deeply Quinn pushed her aching body up. She didn't feel like blindly stumbling around in the darkness with her body so tired but she wouldn't let Beth go out there by herself. Throwing one last look at Daryl she walked after the girl, taking a dagger in each of her hands. She followed the sound of Beth making her way through the bushes when she suddenly realised Daryl had come after them after all. She could hear the steady rhythm of his footsteps behind her.