87. when the wolves come out

' Killing should never be easy. '

87. when the wolves come out

 when the wolves come out

MILO

     HE ENTERED THE HOUSE AS QUIETLY as he could, knowing Judith was probably asleep for her afternoon nap. When he walked into the living room, however, Carl was seated on the couch with his little sister in his arms. The teenager looked up when he heard Milo approach and offered him a smile.

Milo returned the smile and took place on the couch beside him, looking at Carl as he let out a small sigh. 'I know my dad asked you to stay behind to keep an eye on me and Judith,' he said.

'Really?' Milo answered sarcastically. 'Your father worries about you? I never noticed that before.' Carl snickered, making Milo's smile even wider. 'Listen, I know you can take care of yourself. You wouldn't be here if you couldn't, still, that doesn't mean you have to do it alone.' He gave the kid a nudge with his shoulder. 'It's okay to have people look out for you.'

Carl nodded, shifting Judith on his lap so she was more comfortable.

'So, why isn't the little asskicker in bed yet?' Milo questioned, staring at the little girl as she played with her own fingers, seeming very fascinated with them.

'She wouldn't sleep,' Carl replied, looking down at his little sister as well. 'I think she can sense that dad isn't here. Is that weird to think?'