24. tough calls

C H A P T E R  2 4

❛ tough calls ❜

QUINN

    SHE WATCHED FROM A DISTANCE AS Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Maggie and her brother were discussing what to do with Merle. She was leaning against the car, Michonne standing next to her. Multiple times she could hear her own name but she could never make out what they were saying.

Merle was leaning against a tree in the forest behind them, being quiet for once. She hadn't so much as looked at him since he'd woken up again, too tired from his ever childish behaviour. It seemed like he was determined to make the whole world hate him and he was doing a pretty good job of it too.

Sighing she pushed the man away from her thoughts, her eyes drifting back to Milo and the others. Whatever they decided, Quinn knew her brother was coming with her but part of her couldn't help but wish Rick would take them back to the prison. She still needed rest from her almost death experience and Michonne could use a break as well. If they wanted them to leave after a few days, she was fine with that but for now all she truly wanted was a safe place to get some sleep.

She was startled out of her thoughts when Glenn called out Daryl's name. Frowning she watched Daryl walking away from the group, followed by a distraught looking Rick.

'There's gotta be another way,' Rick said while jumping in front of Daryl to prevent him from walking away.

Daryl simply stared at Rick, his expression unreadable. 'Don't ask me to leave 'em,' he finally said, 'I already did that once.' And without another word he started walking towards the car, opening the trunk to take out a backpack.

'We started something last night. You do realise that?'

'Well, no him no me, that's all I can say,' Daryl replied.