47. moonshine and teardrops

 moonshine and teardrops

QUINN

     DARYL TOOK THEM BACK INTO THE WOODS, seeming to have a clear destination in mind as he confidently walked passed the trees.

'A motorcycle mechanic,' Beth suddenly broke the silence.

'Huh?' Was all the man said.

'That's my guess,' the girl replied. 'For what you were doing before the turn. Did Zach ever guess that one?'

'Don't matter,' Daryl told her. 'Hasn't mattered for a long time.'

'It's just what people talk about, you know, to feel normal,' Beth said.

'Yeah, well, that never felt normal to me.'

Beth sighed deeply before turning to look at Quinn. 'What did you do before all of this?'

The woman bit her lip, not sure what to answer. When she was a kid her dream had been to become a ballet dancer. Ever since she found the ballet shoes that belonged to her mother she had wanted nothing else. It had taken a while for her to be able to start working on that dream though, since she had never dared to say a word to her father and so didn't have any money for lessons. That was until Milo found her dancing around her room in those shoes one night. He paid for her lessons and it wasn't until much later that she found out he had been forced to quit college because he didn't have enough money for both.

But since ballet was a hard world that demanded perfection and her relationship with her father was more strained than ever, her addiction had started and was slowly taking over. Until eventually she was forced to stop dancing, simply not having the strength to carry on. And ever since then it had filled her days. She had done nothing but being high, partying and completely destroying herself. What did she do before all this? Break herself. But how could she tell that to Beth?

'I wanted to be a ballet dancer' she replied slowly, choosing her words carefully.

Beth's eyes started shining upon hearing those words and a curious expression appeared on her features, urging Quinn to tell more.

'My mother was a dancer,' Quinn started, 'but she died when I was born. One day I found her ballet shoes in her closet and from that day on all I ever wanted to be was a ballerina.'