50. the cemetery

50.
the cemetery

QUINN

     'ARE WE CLOSE?' BETH WHISPERED, holding up Daryl his large crossbow in her small and pale hands.

'Almost done,' Daryl mumbled, focusing his gaze on the forest around them.

'How do you know?' Quinn whispered, twisting her dagger between her fingers nervously.

'The signs are all there,' Daryl replied, 'just gotta know how to read 'em.'

She sighed at his vague answer as her eyes scanned the forest floor. She had already figured she was never going to be good at this but Beth had insisted that Daryl teached the both of them how to hunt. Quinn had to admit she had picked up a few handy tricks along the way, but hunting was just something she was never gonna enjoy.

'What are tracking?' Beth asked.

'You tell me,' Daryl replied. 'You're the one who wanted to learn.'

The teenage girl took a deep breath before turning her gaze to the ground, looking at the forest floor. 'Well,' she finally said, 'something came through here. The pattern is all zigzaggy.'

Quinn narrowed at the ground, noticing places where the leaves had been kicked aside or pushed deeper into the mud.

'It's a walker,' Beth stated, a proud smile on her features.

'Maybe it's a drunk,' Daryl said, making Quinn shake her head with a smile tugging at her lips.

'I'm getting pretty good at this,' Beth smirked, ignoring the man as she placed the crossbow against her shoulder. 'Pretty soon I won't need you at all.'

'Yeah,' Daryl simply said, not moving his eyes off the ground. 'Keep on tracking.'

Quinn couldn't contain her smile and walked after Beth. Following the zigzaggy pattern they finally stepped out into a clearing where a walker was sitting on its knees on the ground, chewing on something Quinn couldn't see.

'It's got a gun,' Beth noted.

Daryl nodded at her, gesturing for her to move towards the corpse. Quinn followed closely behind, not wanting to take any chances. Slowly they approached the walker but suddenly Beth fell down on her knees, her pained yelp made the walker turn around. Her eyes widened upon noticing the animal trap around Beth's feet. But the girl was too busy with the approaching walker, aiming the crossbow at its head and firing it, the arrow landing in the walker its mouth.