Chapter 11

(sat) the next day

He looks at the time again and tries yet again to call Leila but just like last night there's no answer, he just gets her voice mail and he's not leaving another message for her, she's over an hour late now which is unlike her and remembering that she hadn't been feeling right yesterday and without another thought Bruno goes and gets in his car and drives to her home.

He arrives at Leila's home and sees her car parked outside and he rings her doorbell and with no answer he walks round to her back yard and he looks in the kitchen window and Bruno's heart stops for a second and starts pounding as he sees Leila lying on the kitchen floor not moving and he bangs on the kitchen window shouting her name and he checks the back door and groans because it's locked and he runs round to her front door again and starts banging on it with his fist and shouting Leila's name and Bruno remembers Leila telling him a while back that she keeps a spare key taped under her mail box and he runs to her mail box and gets it and he runs to her front door and unlocks it and lets himself in and he runs into the kitchen and drops to his knees beside Leila and he pulls her up into his arms and hugs her to him and Bruno feels relief shoot through him at feeling her breath and he grabs his phone out of his pocket to call an ambulance then decides fuck it he can get her to hospital quicker than they would get here and he lifts her up carefully and walks as fast as he can with her in his arms and he puts her in the front passenger seat of his car and fastens her seat belt before running back and closing and locking her front door and he runs back to his car and gets in and fastens his seat belt and he calls Leila's name over and over again as he drives praying for her to wake up and Bruno's relieved when Leila comes to groaning when they are a few minutes away from the hospital and he tells her, your gonna be ok baby and barely above a whisper she tells him, I don't feel good and he tells her, we're almost at the hospital, just hang on baby and he pulls up at the hospital and Bruno yells at 2 paramedics he sees coming out of the hospital with a gurney to help him and they run over to him and check Leila over and they put her on the gurney and Bruno holds Leila's hand as they ask her questions and rush into the hospital with her where a nurse shows them to a cubicle to wait for a doctor who arrives a few minutes later and he asks Bruno to leave while he examines Leila but Bruno refuses to leave and Leila squeezes Bruno's hand and tells the doctor, he stays and the doctor tells them, ok and Bruno lets go of Leila's hand and steps back out of the way so the doctor can examine her and he listens as he asks Leila how she feels and she tells him what had happened when she woke up last night but that she can't remember anything after everything went black until she woke up in Bruno's car and Bruno tells the doctor, I found her passed out on her kitchen floor and she only came to as we were a few minutes away from the hospital.

I have good news and bad news the doctor tells them, and fear shoots through Bruno at the doctor's words and he holds Leila's hand again and listens as the doctor tells them that Leila has a particularly nasty virus that is going around and patients are unable to keep fluids or food down, not even the smallest amount and that lasts for 48 hours but the dizziness and the problem with your balance and feeling like your drunk and the room and your eyes are spinning when your eyes are opened will last 5 to 7 days i'm afraid and there is no medication that I can prescribe but I recommend bed rest and I can keep you in for 48 hours and give you fluids through an IV so that you don't dehydrate and I want you to have an MRI to see if you have any head injuries from when you passed out, now i'll have a nurse come to start getting fluids into you through a drip while I go and arrange a room for you and Bruno tells him, please get her a private room doctor and whatever she needs, i'll pay and Leila tells him, you don't have to do that Bruno and he tells her, I know but I want to, let me do this and Leila tells him, ok, thank you and the doctor excuses himself to arrange a private room for her.

It had been a relief earlier to be told that the MRI had shown that she had no head injuries and now as she forces her eyes open and knowing that it will feel like the room and her eyeballs are spinning around doesn't make it any less strange and Leila sees Bruno asleep in the chair by her bed while holding her hand and she smiles and looks around the room slowly to see lots of flowers and as only Bruno knows she's there she knows they're all from him and she turns her head towards him to see him looking at her sleepily and he asks her, how are you feeling and she closes her eyes and tells him, I feel like shit and she looks at him and asks him, how are you feeling and he gets up and stands by her bed and cups the side of her face and tells her, I feel better than I did when I found you on your kitchen floor, i'm so fucking glad that you're going to be alright Leila and he kisses her gently and as he pulls back she tells him, I know you said no earlier, but you should go home and stay clear of me until i'm better so you don't catch this virus from me Bruno and he tells her, not a chance, i'm staying with you and she sighs and tells him, you are such a stubborn man.