Chapter 65

Tues

2 days later

He knows something is wrong with Leila as she's barely said a word since she got home and he gets up from his desk and walks over behind her desk and leans against it and she looks at him and he asks her, did something happen when you got hypnotised this morning or with your friends at lunch and she looks confused and tells him, no and Bruno asks her, then what's wrong and don't tell me nothing because you've not been yourself since you got home, you look worried and she looks away from him and he walks over to her and strokes her shoulder and tells her, talk to me baby and Leila looks at him and bites her lip and tells him, I think someone is following me, I saw a blue sedan yesterday afternoon when I to see Martha and I saw it again today when I went to meet up with Dee Dee and Whitney for lunch and again when I was coming home and Bruno groans silently and curses Lonnie's guys for being spotted and he forces himself to relax and he smiles and tells Leila, it might not have been the same blue sedan, there's a lot of them around and Leila sighs and tells him, you're right, i'm probably being paranoid and he pulls her up out of her chair and kisses her and wraps his arms around her and closes his eyes and hopes the guilt he feels goes away.

She wakes up and smiles as she sees Geronimo lying on the sofa beside her and she rubs his head and he licks her cheek and she sees that the tv is off and the last thing she remembers before she fell asleep was watching the news with Bruno and she gets up and stretches and feeling thirsty she heads to the kitchen.

She stands outside the kitchen door in shock from what she's just heard Bruno tell Lonnie and she swallows hard feeling hurt and she walks into the kitchen and Bruno smiles at her then looks at her with concern and walks towards her and asks her, what's wrong baby and she backs away from him and asks him, why are you having me followed, don't you trust me and Bruno stops walking towards her looking shocked and Lonnie says that's my cue to go and he walks out of the kitchen and Bruno tells her, of course I trust you Leila, Lonnie's guys are only following you when you're out without me to make sure you're safe after what happened with the paparazzi on Friday night and she asks him, you knew when I told you about the blue sedan I saw yesterday and today that it was Lonnie's guys and you knew I was worried about it but instead of telling me the truth you said it might not have been the same blue sedan as there's lots of them around and I bought it and she laughs bitterly and tells him, what a gullible fool I am and she starts to cry and she wipes her tears away angrily.

He can't stand to see Leila crying and upset and he walks over to her and she backs away from him again and he stops and tells her, i'm sorry and if it makes any difference i've felt like shit since not coming clean with you earlier about having 2 of Lonnie's guys follow you but I had to do something after I saw the video of the paparazzi surrounding you outside the restaurant on Friday night and seeing how scared you looked and I kept thinking about it and worrying about what if it happens again when you're out by yourself and there's no one there to help you get away from them so I had Lonnie have 2 of his guys follow you when you're out without me to make sure you're safe and help you if the paparazzi come after you like that again, I just want you to be safe damn it and Leila tells him, I get that and asks him, why didn't you ask me, why didn't you talk to me about it and Bruno walks over to her and feels relieved when she doesn't back away from him again and he stops in front of her and clasps her hands in his and tells her, I didn't ask you or talk to you about having the guys follow you when you're out without me because I thought you'd fight me on it and I know what I did was wrong but my intentions were good and he asks her, doesn't that count for something, wouldn't you do the same for me.

She pulls her hands from Bruno's and folds her arms and tells him, if you had told me that you were worried about the paparazzi coming after me again and nobody being there to help me get away from them then I would have agreed to having Lonnie's guys follow me when i'm out without you and I could let that go as i'd feel the same if it was you but I would have talked to you about it, but what I can't let go of, is the fact that when I told you I thought I was being followed you didn't tell me the truth and I wouldn't know the truth now if I hadn't over heard you talking to Lonnie about it.