Chapter 79

Sun

9 days later

Hawaii

She laughs along with Bruno at Eric's impersonation of their dad Pops who isn't amused and Cindia comes over to them and stands beside Eric and Pops asks Cindia, hows dinner coming along and Cindia tells him, dinner will be ready in about 20 minutes, i've been relieved of duties and everyone laughs except for her and Bruno and as they all stand together talking in Pops lounge Leila's glad that Pops, Eric and Cindia unlike Bruno's sisters haven't been freezing her out this weekend, his sisters wouldn't even accept her offer to help them make dinner today and that had stung and Leila reminds herself that she just has to get through today with them.

He grits his teeth as Tahiti ignores Leila who just asked her to pass the potatoes please, and Bruno can tell that Leila is feeling hurt from being ignored and he strokes Leila's right hand that's clenched into a fist on top of her right thigh and he tells Tahiti, don't be rude and ignorant sis and Leila tells him quietly, it's ok, let it go Bruno and he shakes his head no and he can see Jaime who's sitting across from him smirking and he looks at Leila and he tells her loudly enough for everyone to hear, no baby, it's far from ok and everyone stops talking and looks at them and his dad asks him, what's going on Bruno and he tells him, Tahiti's being rude and ignorant to Leila, but she's not the only 1, all of my sisters have been doing that and shutting Leila out this weekend and i'm fairly sure it's because Jaime has told them what happened between her and Leila, well, her side or a version of it at least and his sisters look at him guiltily except for Jaime who looks away from him and Bruno knows he's right and Leila tells him, please don't do this and his dad must see the same guilty look on his sisters faces because he asks them, how could you, what's wrong with you girls and Bruno looks at his sisters and asks them, so you're all fine with Jaime showing Leila zero respect and he can see the surprise and confusion on Tahiti, Tiara and Presley's faces and they look at Jaime and Jaime tells them, it wasn't that bad and she tells Leila, I hope you're fucking happy now, I wish you and Bruno had never got together and Leila sucks in a breath and stands up and he stands up beside her and puts his arm around her waist and he tells Jaime angrily, you're out of fucking line sis, i'm happy and proud to be married to Leila and for the first time in my life I feel ashamed to be your brother, you've hurt Leila and disrespected our marriage and turned our sisters against her and all Leila did was take a stand with you and tell you that because of how you'd treated her and because of what you'd done, she'll be civil to you but she'll be keeping her distance with you and Bruno can tell by the look on their faces that his sisters hadn't known that.

He strokes Leila's waist and Bruno keeps his mouth shut as he waits for Eric and Cindia to get all the kids out of the dining room like Eric had asked him to and when they're gone he tells his sisters, I should've put a stop to all your shit yesterday but Leila told me to let it go and made excuses for all of you, even you Jaime, like, Tiara didn't hear me when I asked her how she's doing, Tahiti didn't hear me ask her if I could do anything to help because she was busy with the kids, Presley wasn't being rude by throwing a napkin at me, Jaime wasn't giving me dirty looks, the sun was in her eyes and Bruno sees all his sisters look guilty again except for Jaime yet again who looks away from him again and he tells them, you should all feel guilty and ashamed of yourselves, my relationship with all of you means a hell of a lot more to Leila than it does to me right now and Bruno looks at his family sitting around the dining table and he tells them, you're my family and I love you all, but understand this, I love Leila, she's my wife, she's my family too and I won't let any of you hurt Leila anymore and if you can't at least be civil and respectful to Leila then I don't want to be around you and Jaime asks him, are you really going to choose her over your family bro and Leila tells Jaime, i've never done anything to you Jaime, all I did was refuse to stay as we were and have you continue to do as you please and disrespect me and I understand that blood is thicker than water and I appreciate loyalty like the loyalty your sisters are showing you whether they know the entire truth or not of what you did to me, I don't want to cause trouble in the family and I won't stay or go anywhere that i'm not wanted and Jaime tells Leila, then go and Leila looks so hurt that Bruno's heart breaks for her and his anger for Jaime grows and his dad tells Jaime angrily, that's enough, this is my home and Leila is part of our family and she's welcomed here and Leila clears her throat and tells his dad, thanks Pops and she looks at him and tells him, you don't have to choose Bruno, just spend time with your family without me and he looks at Leila and tells her, no baby and he looks at Jaime and tells her, despite what you did and how you've treated her, Leila didn't want that to come between you and me and now unlike you Jaime she isn't asking me to choose between her or my family, she's told me how I can have both, but for me the choice is easy to make, I choose Leila, i'll always choose Leila and Bruno can see the shock on all of his family's faces and he turns to Leila and tells her, lets go home baby and he leads her out of the dining room as his dad starts reprimanding his sisters.