Chapter 32

Fri

3 days later

She is trying to reassure her parents on face time that she's fine and Leila's glad that Bruno is sitting beside her on the sofa with his arm around her shoulders, she feels frustrated that her parents keep bringing up her attack and her dad tells her, we're just confused sweetheart as to why that man got a deal for attacking you and why he got 14 years when you and Bruno acted like the attack was not a big deal and Leila snaps and tells her dad angrily, I don't want to talk about the attack anymore, I don't want to think about it, I just want to forget about it and move on with my life, so please stop talking about it, just drop it and Leila can see that she's shocked her parents with her outburst and her mom tells her, ok honey, if that's what you want then we won't mention it again and Leila breathes a sigh of relief and tells her mom, thank you and there is an awkward silence which Bruno breaks by asking her parents how her brother and sister are doing and Leila listens as her parents tell Bruno that they're both doing fine, which is good to hear and Leila's glad when her parents tell them that they have to go to meet friends for lunch and she turns to face Bruno when she ends the face time and tells him, thanks and he asks her, for what and she tells him, for breaking that awkwardness that I caused after I snapped at my dad and Bruno tells her, it's ok, but if I was in your parents shoes i'd be asking questions just like them and Leila sighs and tells him, I know but there are some things that they're better off not knowing and Bruno strokes her hair and rests his head against hers and tells her, I know baby.

He stares at the text that Lonnie has just sent him telling him that the movers have just left and Bruno hopes this time will go better than the last time and he looks up from his phone when Leila asks him, are you ok and he smiles and tells her, i'm fine baby and Bruno sees how relaxed Leila looks and he hopes that's he's not going to change that and he blows out a breath and tells her, Lonnie texted me to let me know that the movers have just left and Leila tells him, we should go look and Bruno remembers how that went 3 days ago and hopes that it'll go better this time and he tells her, ok, lets go and they get up off the sofa and leave the family room and go to what use to be his music room and Bruno stops outside the door and he looks at Leila and asks her, are you sure you want to do this now and she tells him, yes and he can see that she's nervous but he had heard the resolve in her voice and he holds her left her hand in his and opens the door and they walk in and look around slowly and he feels Leila tense up a little as she looks at her desk but she continues to look around and he breaths a sigh of relief and she turns to him, smiles and tells him, it looks great and she steps in front of him and wraps her arms loosely around his neck and she leans up and kisses him and she looks into his eyes and tells him, even though I hoped it would, I wasn't sure if you turning your music room into the office would make a difference, but it has and Bruno smiles at her and tells her, you're a little tense, are you sure that you're ok being in here and Leila shrugs and tells him, I feel a little tense and maybe I always will, but I don't feel afraid in here and Bruno feels relieved and tells her, I don't like that you feel tense in here at all, but i'm glad you don't feel afraid in here and he kisses her gently and tells her, I never want you to be afraid again, especially not here in our home.

She cups Bruno's left jaw and asks him what's bothering you and he tells her, we know each other so well, we can read each other so easily and Bruno sighs and tells her, I have something for you but i've been debating whether to give it to you now or wait until later or tomorrow as you've had a lot going on today between the face time with your parents and coming in here to our new office and Leila tells him, it's not been an easy day for either of us, but i've handled it, especially coming in here, so I think now is as good a time as any Bruno, so just give me whatever it is now and Bruno reaches into the right front pocket of his blue jeans and he pulls out a small black box and holds it out to her and Leila drops her hand from his jaw and takes it from him and looks from it to Bruno and tells him, well I know there is no chance of another pair of boxing gloves in there and Bruno laughs and tells her, no, open it and Leila opens the small black box and sees a round gold brooch covered with different coloured stones with a diamond in the centre of it and she looks at Bruno and tells him, it's beautiful, thank you and she leans, kisses him and smiles and Bruno tells her, i'm glad you like it, but it's not just a piece of jewellery, it's a panic button and if you press the diamond in the centre of it twice then Lonnie or 1 of his men will come to you as they all have a receiver for it, I do too, and it has GPS so we'll know where you are, try it and Leila swallows hard and presses the diamond in the centre of the brooch twice and a minute later they hear running footsteps coming towards the office and Lonnie and Dave come running into the office and stop and look at them and Bruno tells them, good, you guys were quick, you can go now, this was just to show Leila how the brooch works and that you'd respond when she presses the diamond on it twice and they nod at them and leave without a word and Bruno faces her again and asks her, what do you think and Leila swallows hard trying not to cry and she tells Bruno, you've gone to so much trouble for me by turning your music room into the office and now this brooch to make me feel safe and the tears that Leila's tried hard not to cry fall from her eyes and she hugs Bruno tight and tells him, I don't know how to thank you and Bruno wraps his arms around her, kisses the top of her head and tells her, I love you, no thanks are needed baby, I just want to make you happy and make you feel safe and Leila looks up at Bruno and tells him, I love you too, you do make me happy, the brooch is beautiful and you do make me feel safe and he asks her, want me to put it on you and Leila nods her head yes and Bruno drops his arms from around her waist and takes the brooch from her and pins it high on her chest on her sweater and he tells her, as long as you're no more than 20 miles away, then all you have to do is press the diamond in the centre twice and remember that me and all my personal security will be able to find you Leila and he kisses her and she tells him, i'll remember and she wipes her tears away with her fingers and tells him, I think i'll make you another cake and Bruno grins and tells her, a chocolate or coconut cake would be great and Leila laughs through her tears and asks him, how about I make you 1 of each and Bruno wipes her tears away with his thumbs and tells her, i'd love that and she tells him, ok, i'll go look in the kitchen and see if we have everything i'll need to make them.

He smiles at Leila as they walk in the front door as even though they've just got home from shopping for groceries, it's the first time that Leila's been out of the house since her attack for something other than her therapy sessions and a lot of people might not think it's a big deal but it is and Bruno knows it and he follows Leila into the kitchen carrying the heavier bags of groceries and he puts them on top of the counter next to the ones that Leila had carried in and he helps her put the groceries away.

She looks over at Bruno as they put the groceries away and Leila sees that he's still smiling like he has been since they left to go grocery shopping and she shakes her head and asks him, what's made you so happy and tells her, i've missed going out with you and Leila feels guilty and she walks over to Bruno as he picks up 2 bags of doritos and puts them away in the cupboard and he turns to her and Leila stops in front of him and takes hold of his hands, looks into his eyes and tells him, i'm sorry, you've been staying home with me to keep an eye on me and haven't been out other than to go to my therapy sessions with me and get groceries with Lonnie and Dave and that's not right and it stops now and she asks him, why don't we go out to dinner tomorrow night and Leila can see that she's surprised Bruno and he tells her, if that's what you really want, then i'd love to and she smiles at him and tells him, it is what I want and i'm taking you out to dinner Mr Mars and Bruno smiles back at her and tells her, ok, but remember i'm not a cheap date and Leila laughs and tells him, that's ok, order whatever you want, you're worth it and she kisses him and tells him, lets go chill out for a bit and then i'll make dinner and your cakes and Bruno kisses her, rests his head against hers and tells her, i'd love that and they finish putting the groceries away and walk with an arm around each others waist to the family room and they lie down on the sofa together and watch reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and with Geronimo lying down beside the sofa and laughter filling the room Leila sighs feeling happy as she feels this is exactly what she and Bruno needed.