Chapter 27

Mon

the next day

4 months together

He watches Leila as they sit down at the breakfast bar to eat the sandwiches they've made for lunch and she looks over at him and asks him, why are you looking at me like that and Bruno knows he should probably wait until after lunch, if she actually eats any or much of it but she's been too quiet since the 2 detectives that had questioned them on Saturday had left earlier and Bruno blows out a breath and he tells her, I want to know how you're feeling about Luke pleading guilty to the charges of attempted rape, sexual assault, assault and trespassing and his plea deal with the district attorney that will have him going to prison for 14 years.

She looks at Bruno and Leila can tell that he's still angry like he had been when the detectives had told them about the plea deal Luke has made and she sighs and tells him, Bruno I know you're angry that Luke's gotten a plea deal, but I feel relieved that he can't get near me again anytime soon and I think him getting a plea deal is for the best, because I don't want him bringing up you beating him up in his office in court and getting you in trouble and I sure as hell don't want to have to testify in front of strangers... about what he did to me, I just want to feel like myself again and get back to normal with you.

He puts his arm around Leila's shoulders and tells her, i'm sorry, I hadn't thought about how testifying in court would make you feel and the fact that you're still worried about it getting out that I beat up Luke leaves me speechless, so if you're ok with the plea deal then I am too and I think I know a way we could make a start on us getting back to normal and Leila tells him, I miss having sex with you Bruno but I can't, I just can't, not yet and he can see that Leila is uncomfortable and he tells her, I understand that baby and I wasn't talking about sex Leila, do you know what today is and her look of confusion tells Bruno that she doesn't and he smiles and tells her, we've been together 4 months today, so lets get dressed up and have dinner here tonight and celebrate that and Leila smiles and tells him, i'd like that and he kisses her gently and tells her, good, leave everything to me.

That night

He has everything ready and Bruno smiles feeling pleased with himself as he walks into their bedroom and he stops shocked at seeing Leila topless as she stands beside their bed wearing a tight black leather knee length skirt, but what's shocked him is seeing the bruises on her breasts and he says son of a bitch and Leila covers her breasts with her arms and turns around.

She feels ashamed and mortified that Bruno saw the bruises on her breasts and Leila tells him, I wasn't expecting you back yet, please don't look at me Bruno and she turns around a little and picks up her red top off the bed and she puts it on quickly and walks over to her closet to finish getting dressed but Bruno gets there first and stands in her way and she looks at him and tells him, please let me by so I can finish getting dressed and he asks her, why didn't you tell me about the bruises on your breasts baby and Leila looks away from him and tells him, because they're an ugly reminder of what happened and they make me feel ugly and I don't want you to see me like this and I didn't want to upset you anymore than my attack already has.

He cups her face gently and lifts it up and tells her, you could never be ugly to me, the bruises are ugly, but you're beautiful Leila and I don't want you to not tell me something because it might upset me and he kisses her bruised left cheek gently and tells her, go finish getting dressed baby and Bruno drops his hands from her face and steps out of her way and he watches as Leila goes into her closet and closes the door and he turns and goes into his own closet and he calls Lonnie and tells him, we'll be down in about 10 minutes and he hangs up and gets changed into black trousers, a red shirt and black dress shoes and Bruno tries to push the image of the bruises on Leila's breasts out of his mind.

He looks at Leila as he walks out of his closet and he smiles at her and Bruno sees that she's managed to hide most of her bruised left cheek and he tells her, you look beautiful and she smiles back at him and tells him, thanks, you look as hot as ever and he walks over to Leila and he takes her hand and tells her, lets go eat and he leads her down to the patio where Beyonce starts to play through the hidden speakers and a table is set for 2 with 2 champagne glasses, 2 plates covered with silver domes and a bottle of champagne is in an ice bucket beside the table and there are candles lit all around the patio and Bruno's phone rings twice and he tells Leila, turn around baby and she turns around and sees a large red heart made out of red roses and in the middle it says I love you in white roses and she turns to him and tells him, they're beautiful Bruno, I can't believe you did all this and she cups his face and leans up and kisses him and tells him, I love you, thank you for going to so much trouble and Bruno smiles feeling relieved that Leila likes it and he tells her, it was no trouble baby, I love you too, i'm glad you like it and he leads her over to the table and pulls out her chair for her and when she sits down he goes and sits down across from her and he removes the silver domes from over their plates and places them on the ground beside him and Leila smiles at seeing the spaghetti and meatballs he had delivered from their favourite Italian restaurant and she looks at him and tells him, you got 1 of our favourite meals from Mario's and he grins at her and tells her, of course and if you don't eat much of it, i'll tell Mario the next time we go there and Leila laughs and tells him, I can't have that and Bruno opens the bottle of champagne and pours them both a glass of it and he holds his glass against Leila's and says, to us and Leila says, always.

She smiles at Bruno as Lonnie brings out a tray with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and places it on the table and he takes their plates and the silver domes and places them on the tray and he leaves without a word and she asks Bruno, since when did the head of your security become a DJ and a waiter and Bruno tells her, I didn't want a stranger here and he understands that and I didn't want to leave you for even a moment while I cleared the table and fetched these for us and he holds a chocolate covered strawberry to her lips and Leila bites into it and he eats the other half and that's how they continue to eat them until she tells Bruno, these are great, but I can't eat anymore, i'm stuffed and she feeds Bruno 1 more chocolate covered strawberry and he eats it and tells her, ok, i'm just glad that you've eaten tonight and he gets up from the table and walks over to her and he holds out his right hand and asks her, dance with me and Leila places her hand in his right hand and he pulls her gently up from her chair and pulls her into his arms and they sway slowly to the music.

He feels happy for the first time since Leila was attacked on Saturday at how well their night has gone and that Leila had eaten more than Bruno's seen her eat in the last 2 days and he watches Leila as she comes out of the bathroom wearing a long white vest and she gets into bed beside him and puts her arm over his chest and he rests his hand on her waist and Bruno feels her tense up a little then she relaxes and Bruno breathes a sigh of relief as this is the first time they've lied in bed like this together since before she was attacked and it feels good to be like this with her again and she kisses his chest and tells him, thanks for tonight, it was great and just what we both needed I think and she raises her head, looks at him and tells him, i'm sorry I can't... i'm not ready... to be intimate with you again Bruno and he tells her, you have nothing to be sorry about baby, and we'll be intimate again when you're ready, there's no pressure, when you're ready just let me know and he kisses her gently and she rests her head on his arm and tells him, I don't know when that will be and he tells her, there's no rush baby and i'm not going anywhere, so don't worry about it.