Chapter 103

Sun

6 days later

He watches Leila go to the bathroom until she's out of his sight and Sarah tells him, you look at Leila and watch her like she's the only woman in the world and Bruno smiles and he tells Sarah, for me she is and Sarah tells him, i'm glad you came to the homeless shelter with Leila this morning and I got to spend some time with you there and I want to thank you for inviting me to join you and Leila for dinner and he tells Sarah, i'm glad you could join us, I would have come to the homeless shelter sooner if i'd known how important it is to Leila but she only told me on Monday about it and you and how you helped her and protected her and I want you to know that i'm grateful to you for that and i'm glad that I got to spend time with you today too, i'm just sorry it's taken this long for us to get to know each other and Sarah smiles and tells him, me too, that's my fault of course and Bruno feels confused and he asks Sarah, what do you mean it's your fault and Sarah smiles and tells him, ah, Leila didn't tell you, which isn't surprising, she probably didn't want you to think badly of me bless her, Leila wanted us to meet after she moved in with you but I let fear get the best of me and refused and I regret that, for months Leila kept telling me that I was wrong about you and told me what you're like Bruno but I wouldn't listen, even when I know better than most that you can't judge a book by it's cover but that's what I did with you and i'm sorry.

He is surprised by what Sarah has told him and he asks her, why were you scared to meet me and Sarah tells him, i've never met anyone famous before, I felt intimidated and I didn't think someone famous like you would want to meet or get to know someone like me, I thought you'd look down on me and I didn't want to embarrass Leila, I love that girl, she's like a daughter to me and Bruno smiles and he asks Sarah, why did you come to our wedding when you felt like that and Sarah tells him, I wanted to see Leila get married but my fear got the best of me, long story short, Leila ran out of patience with me and told me that my stubborn ass better be at your wedding and I could meet you there and see for myself that I was wrong about you and she was right and i'm glad I saw you 2 get married, it was a beautiful wedding and you both look just as much in love today as you did then, you're not what I thought you'd be like Bruno and I hope you won't hold my stupidity against me and Bruno smiles and he tells Sarah, I won't, I treat everyone the same unless they give me a reason not to or if I don't like them, I never judge anyone by where they come from or where they've been or what they do or don't have, I judge someone by what they're like as a person and I like you Sarah and i'm looking forward to getting to know you better and Sarah smiles and tells him, me too.

He sees Leila walking towards their table looking worried and she sits down beside him and Bruno smiles and tells her, I was wondering how much longer you were going to leave me and Sarah alone to talk and Sarah tells him, that's on me Bruno, I told Leila that i'd like to talk to you alone to explain why we hadn't met sooner and to apologise to you and Leila asks him and Sarah, are you 2 ok with each other now and he and Sarah tell Leila yes at the same time and Bruno can see the relief on Leila's face, she looks happy and she tells them, thank fuck for that and he and Sarah laugh and Sarah tells Leila, you've done so much for me, more than I can ever repay you for, we've been through a lot and it's so good to see you happy, you deserve that Leila and Sarah tells him, you're a lucky man Bruno and Bruno smiles and tells Sarah, I know that and he kisses Leila and they order coffee and talk.

He smiles at Leila as she walks into the family room carrying 2 large cups of hot chocolate with whipped cream on top and Leila walks over to him and gives him 1 of the cups and sits down on the sofa beside him and he takes a sip of the hot chocolate and Bruno sighs in pleasure and tells Leila, you make the best hot chocolate baby and Leila smiles and tells him, you always say that Bruno and Leila asks him, do you wish you hadn't gone to the homeless shelter with me this morning and Bruno smiles and he tells Leila, no, i'm glad I went with you, I actually enjoyed Marty roping me into pealing the potatoes, spending time at the homeless shelter today was a humbling experience and it's made me feel very fucking lucky and appreciative for what we have and it was good to meet Sarah again and get to know her a bit at the homeless shelter and go and have dinner with her afterwards, it's obvious that she adores you, I like her and I vaguely remember meeting her at our wedding now, but I have questions and Bruno takes a sip of his hot chocolate and he asks Leila, why did you wait until Monday to tell me about Sarah.