ꜱᴄᴀʀᴇᴄʀᴏᴡ (ᴘᴛ 2)

The couple's car has broken down, and they are walking through the orchard.

"I can't believe it. We just got the car fixed," the girl says.

"This way," they start walking towards a clearing. The scarecrow moves quickly behind them. The girl gasps, and they turn around.

"Steve?" They hear more noises.

"Who's there?" Steve asks. They look around, and the scarecrow comes out from behind the trees. It begins walking towards them, and they start running away. They are almost at the clearing when Dean and Y/N run in front of them, causing the couple to stop.

"Get back to your car." The couple looks behind them and sees the scarecrow getting closer. "Go! Go!" The couple runs away. Dean and Y/N cock their guns and shoot the scarecrow, which stumbles but keeps walking. The two begin running, cock their guns again, and shoot. Again, the scarecrow keeps going. They try one more time, but the scarecrow keeps moving. They keep running. "Go! Go!" Finally, Dean, Y/N, and the couple reach the clearing. They cock their guns and look around, but the scarecrow has disappeared.

"What the hell was that?" Steve asks, panting.

"Don't ask," Dean says.

==

At the bus station in the middle of the night, Meg is sleeping on the floor. Sam is sitting by his bags, on the phone with Dean and Y/N.

"The scarecrow climbed off its cross?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I'm tellin' ya. Burkesville, Indiana. Fun Town," Dean replies.

"It didn't kill the couple, did it?"

"No. We can't cope without you, you know."

"So, something must be animating it. A spirit."

"No, it's more than a spirit. It's a god. A Pagan god, anyway," Dean says.

"What makes you say that?"

"The annual cycle of its killings? And the fact that the victims are always men and women. Like some kind of fertility rite,"

"And you should see the locals. The way they treated this couple. Fattening 'em up like a Christmas turkey," Y/N adds.

"The last meal. Given to sacrificial victims."

"Yeah, we're thinking of a ritual sacrifice to appease some Pagan god," Dean says.

"So, a god possesses the scarecrow..."

"And the scarecrow takes its sacrifice. And for another year, the crops won't wilt, and disease won't spread," Y/N finishes.

"Do you know which god you're dealing with?" Sam asks.

"No, not yet."

"Well, you two figure out what it is, you can figure out a way to kill it,"

"We know. We're actually on our way to a local community college. We've got an appointment with a professor," Y/N says.

"You know, since we don't have our trusty sidekick geek boy to do all the research," Dean adds. Sam laughs.

"You know, if you're hinting that you're in need of my help, just ask."

"We're not hinting at anything. Actually, I want you to know...I mean, don't think..." Dean stumbles with his words.

"Yeah. I'm sorry, too,"

"Sam. You were right. You have to do your own thing. You gotta live your own life," Y/N says.

"Are you serious?"