ʀᴇᴅ ꜱᴋʏ ᴀᴛ ᴍᴏʀɴɪɴɢ (ᴘᴛ 1)

Y/N is driving, Dean is in the passenger's seat, Sam in the back leaning forwards. There is a tense silence in the car, which Y/N breaks.

"So, I've been waiting since Maple Springs. You got something to tell me?" Y/N says, looking in the rear-view mirror.

"It's not your birthday" Sam says.

"No"

"...Happy Purim?" Sam laughs "Dude, I don't know. Dean, do you know?" Dean shakes his head "I have no idea what you're talking about-" Sam is cut off by Y/N.

"There's a bullet missing from the Colt. You want to tell me how that happened? I know it wasn't me. I know it wasn't Dean because he was snoring when I woke up. So, unless you were shooting at some incredibly evil cans..."

"Y/N..."

"You went after her, didn't you? The Crossroads Demon. After I told you not to"

"Yeah, well..."

"You could have gotten yourself killed!"

"I didn't"

"And you shot her" Y/N says.

"He was a smartass!" There is a small pause.

"So, what? Does that, does that mean I'm out of my deal?"

"Don't you think I might have mentioned that little fact, Y/N? No. Someone else holds the contract"

"Who?" Dean asks, finally speaking up.

"She wouldn't say"

"Well, we should find out who"

"Of course, our best lead would be the Crossroads Demon. Oh, wait a minute..."

"That's not funny"

"No, it's not! It was a stupid freaking risk, and you shouldn't have done it"

"I shouldn't have done it? You're our sister, Y/N. Hell, you're the only mother figure I've had in my life. And no matter what you do, we're gonna try and save you. And we're sure as hell not gonna apologize for it, all right?" Y/N is silent. Sam shakes his head in exasperation and looks to Dean, who shrugs.

==

Sam, Dean and Y/N are impersonating officers of the law to interview a witness. A woman is holding a framed photograph of a young woman. The woman is elegant and well-groomed, approximately 70 years old. As the conversation continues, she begins to flirt shamelessly with Sam.

"But I don't understand. I already went over all this with the other detectives" The woman says.

"Right, yes. But, see, we're with the Sheriff's Department, not the police department - different departments" She nods in confusion.

"So, Mrs. Case..." Sam says.

"Please" The old woman is looking intensely at Sam "Ms. Case"

"Okay" Sam says awkwardly. Y/N and Dean share a look before turning away as to not laugh "Ms. Case. Um...you were the one who found your niece, correct?"

"I came home, she was in the shower"

"Drowned?" Y/N asks. The old woman scoffs.

"So, the coroner says. Now, you tell me, how can someone drown in the shower?"

"How would you describe Sheila's behavior in the days before her death?" Sam asks "I mean, did she seem frightened? Maybe she said something out of the ordinary, or ...?"

"Wait a minute. You're working with Alex, aren't you?"

"Yep. Absolutely. That's--" Dean laughs and crosses his fingers "Alex and us, we're like this"