ᴘʟᴀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ (ᴘᴛ 1)

The walls of the motel room are covered in maps, hand-written notes, and a missing poster showing Ava's face. Sam is on the phone.

"Yeah. Okay. Thanks, Ellen," Dean and Y/N enter.

"What'd she have to say?" She asks.

"Oh, she's got nothing. Me, I've been checking every database I can think of- federal, state, and local. No one's heard anything about Ava, she just...into thin air, you know?"

"Huh," Dean hands over one of the two cups of coffee he's carrying to Sam, Y/N holding her own.

"What about you two?" Y/N shakes her head.

"No, same as before. Sorry, man," Dean says.

"Ellen did have one thing."

"Hmm?"

"A hotel in Cornwall, Connecticut. Two freak accidents in the past three weeks."

"Yeah? What's that have to do with Ava?" Y/N asks, sitting at the small table.

"It's a job. I mean, a lady drowned in the bathtub; then a few days ago a guy falls down the stairs, head turns a complete one-eighty. Which isn't exactly normal, you know? Look, I don't know, Guys, it might be nothing, but I told Ellen we'd think about checking it out," Sam says, as Dean takes his jacket off and sits opposite Y/N.

"You did?"

"Yeah. You seem surprised."

"Well yeah, it's just, you know. Not the, uh, patented Sam Winchester way, is it?"

"What way is that?" Sam asks, mildly challenging.

"Yeah Dean, what way is that?" Y/N says sarcastically.

"I just figured after Ava there'd be, uh, you know, more angst and droopy music and staring out the rainy windows, and—" Sam gives him a look "yeah, I'll shut up now."

"Look. I'm the one who told her to go back home. Now her fiancé's dead and some demon has taken her off to God knows where. You know? But we've been looking for a month now, and we've got nothing. So I'm not giving up on her, but I'm not going to let other people die either. We've got to save as many people as we can," Y/N and Dean look at each other surprised. They then look to Sam.

"Wow. That attitude is just way too healthy for me, and I'm officially uncomfortable now. Thank you," Sam ducks his head and laughs.

"All right, call Ellen. Tell her we'll take it," Y/N says.

==

It's not raining, but the roads are wet and the air misty as Y/N parks the Impala in front of the inn. Y/N gets out of the driver's side, followed by Dean from the passenger side and then Sam from the back.

"Dude, this is sweet. We never got to work jobs like this," Dean says.

"Like what?"

"Old schools haunted houses, you know? Fog, and secret passageways...sissy British accents. Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside," Dean closes his eye briefly "Mmm, Daphne. Love her."

"Trust you to love a cartoon," As they go up the stairs, Sam notices an urn on the side of the porch.

"Hey, wait a sec," Sam inspects it more closely "I'm not so sure haunted's the problem."

"What do you mean?"

"You see this pattern here?" Sam taps a five-point symbol engraved in the urn "That's a quincunx, that's a five-spot."

"Five-spot," Y/N says.

"Yeah."

"That's used for hoodoo spell work, isn't it?"