ɴɪɢʜᴛꜱʜɪꜰᴛᴇʀ (ᴘᴛ 1)

An attractive young woman comes out of the back with some papers in her hand. Dean turns to face her as she speaks. He is dressed in a dark suit.

"So, what's it like, being an FBI guy?" The woman asks.

"Well, it's dangerous. And the secrets we've gotta keep, oh. God, the secrets. But mostly it's, it's lonely."

"I so know what you mean." Dean nods sagely.

"Yeah." Elsewhere in the store: Sam, also dressed in a suit, with slicked hair, and Y/N, dressed in a white blouse, pants, and jacket, hair tied up in a messy bun, are interrogating the manager, a middle-aged man.

"Helena was our head buyer. She... she was family, you know? She said it herself, every year at the Christmas party. She said we were the only family she had," he says.

"So, there were never any signs that she'd do something like this?" Y/N asks.

"No. Still can't believe it, even now. That night, Helena came back to the store after closing. Cleaned out all the display cases, and the safe. Edgar - our night watchman - he caught her in the act. He didn't know what to do, he'd known her for years. He called me at home."

"And that's when she took his gun?" Sam says.

"She shot him in the face. I heard him die. Over the phone."

"Any idea what her motive could have been?"

"What motive? It makes no sense. Why steal all those diamonds, all that jewelry, and then what? Just dump it somewhere, just hide it, and then go home and-"

==

"She killed herself?" Dean asks.

"Well, the cops said. She dropped the hairdryer in the bath and fried herself. They should know, right?"

"Yeah. Well, thanks, Frannie, I think that's all I need."

"Really? Because I've got more. You know," Frannie looks around slyly, "If you wanted to interview me sometime. In private?" Dean eyes Sam and Y/N guiltily across the room.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think that's a good idea. You're a true patriot, you really are. Why don't you write your number down there for me, that'd be good."

==

"So, you never saw the security camera footage yourself, then?" Y/N says.

"No. The police, they took all the tapes, first thing," Dean approaches.

"Yeah, of course they did." He waves Frannie's number at Sam and Y/N.

==

Leaving the jewelry store, Sam, Dean, and Y/N drive down a dark street and pull up in front of a small house.

"Five - this is it," Y/N says.

"Friggin' cops."

"They're just doing their job, Dean."

"No, they're doing our job, only they don't know it, so they suck at it. Talk to me about this bank." They get out of the car and approach the house.

"Um, Milwaukee National Trust. It was hit about a month ago."

"Same M.O. as the jewelry store?"

"Yep, inside job, longtime employee, the never-in-a-million-years type. Dude robs the bank, then goes home and supposedly commits suicide," Y/N says.

"The guy Resnick, he was the security guard on duty?"

"Yeah. He was actually beaten unconscious by the teller who heisted the place."