ʙᴏʀɴ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀ ᴀ ʙᴀᴅ ꜱɪɢɴ (ᴘᴛ 2)

An insistent knocking awakens Dean. He realizes that he is on the floor of the motel room; the motel manager, who had been knocking, opens the door.

"Hey. It's past your checkout" Dean gets up, very groggy and walks over to the manager.

"What?" He asks.

"It's past checkout, and I've got a couple here needs your room" Dean turns his head to see an embarrassed businessman with a hooker.

"Yeah, I'll bet they do. What time is it?"

"Twelve-thirty"

"The guy and woman who was with me, have you seen them?"

"Yeah, they left before dawn in your car, he was carrying her, said she drank a bit much. You should have gone with them, because now I'm gonna have to charge you extra"

"Oh, son of a..." Dean mutters.

"It's just policy, sir"

"I need to use your computer" Dean says.

"Now, why would I let you use my computer?" Later, the Manager is counting a stack if cash, as Dean talks on the phone behind him, in front of a desktop computer.

"Hi, uh, sorry to bother you, but uh, my son and daughter snuck out of the house last night and, uh, went to a Justin Timberlake concert" There is a small pause "What? Yeah. No, Justin is quite the triple threat. Uh, anyway, they're not back yet, and, and I'm just, I'm just starting to worry" There is a small pause "Right. Yeah, kids will be kids. But see, Sammy is uh, uh, uh, a diabetic, and Y/N has uh, has asthma attacks and she didn't bring her inhaler, I just, I have to find them. Please, I'm begging you. Yeah, no, no, no, I'm on the website right now, I just need to activate the GPS in their cell phones" Dean enters a password; his GPS screen shows the name 'Dean J. Mahogoff', mobile phone number 785-555-2804 "Yeah, right there. Duluth, Minnesota. Yeah, that is a long way to go for a concert. I appreciate your help"

==

Jo is scrubbing the bar and saying goodnight to some customers.

"Good night, thank you" she says. Sam enters and clears his throat.

"Sorry, we're closing up" Jo says, her back turned to him.

"How about just one for the road?" Jo turns to face him, not looking welcoming.

"Well, you're about the last person I'd expect to see"

"Well, I guess I'm full of surprised. So can I get a beer?"

"Sure. One beer" Jo brings a bottle of beer over and sets it down on the bar firmly, then turns away, bustling over cleaning up the bar "So how'd you find me?"

"Well, uh, it's kind of what we do, you know?"

"Speaking of 'we', where's Dean and Y/N?" She asks.

"They couldn't make it"

"So, what're you doing here Sam? I mean we didn't exactly part on the best of terms. Well, me and Y/N, but not us"

"Right. Um, well, that's why I'm here" Sam takes off his jacket "I kinda -- I wanted to see if we could square things, you know?" As Sam takes off his jacket, Jo notices a circular burn mark with a short line through it on Sam's forearm.

"That looks like it hurts"

"No. Nah, just, just had a run-in with a hot stove"

"So, you were saying something about squaring things?"

"Yeah. Um ... Look, I know how you feel about my dad. And I can't say I blame you. He was obsessed -- consumed with hunting. And he didn't care who got caught in the cross-fire. And I guess that included your dad. But that was my father. That's not me"