ɴɪɢʜᴛꜱʜɪꜰᴛᴇʀ (ᴘᴛ 2)

Inside the vault, a young man stares after Y/N.

"Who is that woman?" The man asks.

"She's our sister," Sam says, worried.

"She is so brave," Dean very nearly rolls his eyes. In the office, Ronald precedes Y/N into a series of offices; Y/N has removed her uniform jacket to reveal a flannel shirt.

"Check behind the desk." As Y/N checks a back room, Ronald falls, yelling. Y/N comes back out, eyes darting. Ronald is lying on the floor next to a slimy pile of skin. He screams and stands, pointing his gun at it.

"What the hell is that?" Y/N turns a lamp on the pile.

"Oh, great." There is a small pause. "When it changes form, it sheds its old skin. So, now it could be anybody." Ronald picks up a piece of skin and smells it.

"It's so, so weird. Its robot skin is so lifelike."

"Okay, let's get something straight. It's, it's not a Manroid. It's a shapeshifter."

"Shapeshifter?" Ronald asks.

"Yeah. I mean, it's human, more or less. Has human drives-and in this case it's money. But it generates its own skin, it can shape it to match someone else's features, you know, taller, shorter, male," Y/N says.

"So, it, it, it kills someone and then takes their place?"

"Kills them, doesn't kill them, I don't think it really matters."

"What are you doing?" Ronald asks. Y/N picks up a letter opener from the desk and examines it. She sighs in relief.

"Nice." Y/N looks to Ronald. "You remember the old werewolf stories? Pretty much came from these guys. Silver's the only thing I've seen that hurts them." Y/N strides out the door. "Come on, Ronald." Ronald grimaces at the skin, then follows Y/N, grinning. Ronald is following Y/N down a wider hallway, still chuckling. "What are you, nuts?"

"That's just it. I'm not nuts. I mean, I was so scared that I was losing my marbles. But this is real! I mean, I, I, I was right! Except for the Manroid thing. Thank you."

"Yeah, don't mention it." Suddenly, the power cuts out; a few emergency lights click on. "Dammit! No, no, no, no, no, no."

"What? What is it?" Ronald asks.

"They cut the power. Probably their way of saying hi."

"Who?"

"The cops."

"The cops?!" Y/N stops.

"Well, you weren't exactly a smooth criminal about this, Ron. I mean, you didn't even secure the security guard. He probably called them."

"Well, I, I didn't, I didn't think t --"

"All right, hang on, hang on, let's just take a breath here for a second, all right? They -- they've probably got us surrounded. They've cut the power to the camera so there's no way of telling who the shapeshifter is." Dean takes a breath. "It's not looking good, Ron." Ronald flinches at a noise, bringing the rifle up. "Did you hear that?"

==

It's now dark in the vault as well, and a few of the hostages are fanning themselves. The man is still babbling at Sam and Dean; they continue to roll their eyes.

"Has your sister always been so, um, wonderful? I mean, staring down that gun. And you know the way -- she played right into that psycho's crazy head, telling him what he wanted to hear, I mean," Sam stares at her and Dean huffs a laugh. "She's like, a real hero, or, or something."