ᴄʜɪʟᴅʀᴇɴ ꜱʜᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ᴘʟᴀʏ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴅᴇᴀᴅ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ (ᴘᴛ 1)

The Impala zooms down a two-lane blacktop. Y/N is driving, Dean sitting shotgun and Sam in the back, leaning forwards on the front seats.

"Come on, Sam, Y/N, I'm begging you. This is stupid," Dean says, shaking his head.

"Why?" Sam asks.

"Going to visit Mom's grave? She doesn't even have a grave -- there, there was no body left after the fire."

"She has a headstone," Y/N points out.

"Yeah, put up by her uncle, a man we've never met. So, you wanna go pay your respects to a slab of granite put up by a stranger? Come on."

"Dean, that's not the point."

"Well then, enlighten me, Sam."

"It's not about a body, or, or, a casket. It's about her memory, okay?"

"Hmmm."

"And after Dad it just...just feels like the right thing to do."

"It's irrational, is what it is."

"Look, man. No one asked you to come."

"Why don't we swing by the roadhouse instead? I mean, we haven't heard anything on the demon lately. We should be hunting that son of a bitch down."

"That's a good idea, you should. Just drop me off, I'll hitch a ride, and I'll meet you two there tomorrow," Sam says.

"Right. Stuck ... stuck with those people, making awkward small talk until you show up? No thanks."

==

Sam kneels before a headstone, digging in the ground with a folding knife. The headstone reads; Mary Winchester, 1954-1983, In Loving Memory. Sam pulls out a set of dog-tags out of his pocket. He sighs.

"I think, um...I think Dad would have wanted you to have these," He drops the dog-tags in the hole and covers them. "I love you, Mom," Sam says, tears in his eyes. Nearby, Dean and Y/N are standing by another gravestone, marked as 'Loving Father,' both looking pensive. Dean sees a dying tree and stops, frowning. He nudges Y/N and gestures to the tree. They walk over to it, Y/N knocks on the trunk, consideringly, then notices a perfect circle of dead grass surrounding a gravestone. Dean crouches down, fingering dead flowers. He looks up at Y/N and gives her a serious look. Later, Dean takes a card from a man in a suit, then walks over to Sam and Y/N.

"Angela Mason. She was a student at the local college; funeral was three days ago," The three walk together.

"And?" Sam asks.

"And? You saw her grave. Everything dead around it, in a perfect circle? You don't think that's a little weird," Y/N says.

"Maybe the groundskeeper went a little agro with the pesticide."

"No, I asked him, I asked him. No pesticide, no chemicals. Nobody can explain it."

"Okay, so what are you thinking?" Sam asks.

"I dunno. Unholy ground, maybe?" Y/N suggests.

"Un-" Sam stops, speechless. Y/N and Dean also stop.

"What? If something evil happened there, it could easily poison the ground. Remember the, the farm outside of Cedar Rapids?"

"Yeah, b-"

"Could be the sign of a demonic presence. Or the, the Angela girl's spirit, if it's powerful enough," Sam nods, turning away.

"Well, don't get too excited, you might pull something," Y/N says as they head to the Impala.

"It's just...stumbling onto a hunt? Here, of all places?"