ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴅʏɪɴɢ (ᴘᴛ 2)

Sam enters Y/N's room quietly, clutching a brown paper bag in his arms. The steady beeping of her heart rate monitors and the sound of the ventilator fill the room as he looks to her with a small smile.

"Hey. I think Dean may be around. And of course, where else would he be if not protecting his sister." Then he looks around the room. "And if you are here, don't make fun of me for this, but um, well, there's one way we can talk." Sam pulls out a box labeled 'Mystical Talking Board.' Dean is now behind him, arms folded.

"Oh, you gotta be kidding." Sam circles around the bed and sits cross-legged on the floor. He opens the box and pulls out the board.

"Dean? Y/N? Are you here?"

"God, I feel like I'm at a slumber party." Dean sits opposite Sam in front of the board. "All right, Sam. This isn't going to work." Sam has his hands poised on the pointer. Dean places his fingers on it and, slowly concentrating, slides it to 'YES' on the board. Sam gasps.

"I'll be damned," Dean says.

"Is this Y/N?" Dean moves the pointer to 'NO.'

"It's good to hear from you, man. It hasn't been the same without you, Dean. And with Y/N, it's even worse."

"Damn straight," Dean mumbles to himself.

"Is Y/N with you?" The pointer moves to 'NO.' "Do you know where she is?" Again, Dean moves the pointer to 'NO.' Sam looks down sadly as Dean starts moving the pointer again.

"Dean, what? H? U? Hunt? Hunting? What, are you hunting?" Sam asks. The pointer slides back to 'YES.'

"It's in the hospital, what you're hunting? Do you know what it is?"

"One question at a time, dude," Dean says to himself.

"What is it?" Sam asks. The pointer slides again during the following, to R, E, A, P.

"I don't think it's killing people. I think it's taking them. You know, when their time's just up," Dean explains, even though Sam can't hear him.

"A reaper. Dean. Is it after you?" The pointer slides to 'YES.' "If it's here naturally, there's no way to stop it."

"Yeah, you can't kill death."

"Man, you're, um—"

"I'm screwed, Sam."

"No. No, no, no, there's gotta be a way." Sam stands, pacing. "There's gotta be a way. Dad will know what to do." Sam leaves Y/N's room.

==

Sam enters John's room and sees that the bed is empty.

"Dad," Sam whispers.

==

In the boiler room, John pushes the door open and enters, carrying a duffel bag. He walks through a dark and dripping hallway to a clear space, places the bag down. He pulls out a box of white chalk and starts drawing a large symbol on the floor.

==

Sam returns to Y/N's room, carrying the Journal. He sits on the edge of Y/N's bed.

"Hey. So, Dad wasn't in his room."

"Where is he?"

"But I got Dad's journal, so who knows? Maybe there's something here." Sam flips open the journal and flicks through it, glancing up at Y/N's unconscious form occasionally. Dean comes to stand behind him.

"Thanks for not giving up on us, Sammy. And if Y/N was here, she would say the same." Sam turns the page that says 'Reapers,' Dean leans over and reads something. His eyes go wide.