ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ (ᴘᴛ 2)

Later that evening, Y/N, Mary, Samuel, Deanna, and Theodore are sat around the dining room table eating dinner. Deanna leans over and touches Y/N's arm.

"First time in Lawrence, Y/N?" She asks.

"Well, it's been a while. Things sure have changed...I think."

"You working a job?" Theodore asks, pointing his fork at the younger woman.

"Yeah, maybe," Y/N replies, eating some potatoes.

"What's that mean?" Samuel asks, placing his fork back in his plate and looking at Y/N.

"It means I don't trust other hunters either, Samuel," Y/N retorts. Mary, Deanna, and Theodore share a look of amusement while Samuel smirks. Y/N smirks back and she continues to eat.

"Hey, um, so why were you following me and John?" Mary asks, looking at Y/N.

"Mmm, I thought something was after your, um, boyfriend, but um, I don't think that anymore," Y/N answers.

"John Winchester mixing it up with spirits, can you imagine?" Deanna asks in amusement while Y/N smirks at the irony. Samuel sighs in annoyance and rolls his eyes. Mary tilts her head at him.

"I saw that," She says. Samuel looks at her.

"What?" He asks.

"The sour-lemon look," Mary answers.

"Now hold on, John's a really, really nice... naïve civilian," Samuel says. Y/N looks down, shaking her head.

"So what? You'd rather me be with another hunter?" Mary asks.

"Mary, of course not," Samuel tells her. "It's just that I -"

"That's enough, both of you, we have company," Deanna told them, gesturing her head to Y/N. She nods awkwardly.

"It's always like this," Theodore says, taking a sip of his drink. Y/N looks at Samuel.

"So, what about you, Sam, you, uh, working a job?" She asks.

"Might be," He answers.

"He's working a job on the Whitshire Farm," Mary tells Y/N, to which gets her a look from Samuel. Y/N clears her throat.

"Whitshire, why does that name sound familiar to me?" She asks.

"Well, it's been all over the papers. Tom Whitshire. Got tangled up in a combine a few towns over," Samuel explains.

"That kind of thing happens," Y/N says.

"So why was he on it in the first place when his crops are all dead?" Theodore questions.

"Demonic omens?" Y/N suggests.

"That's what I gotta find out."

"What about the rest of the town? Well, did you find anything on the web?..." Y/N trails off, remembering that she's not in the 1970s. "Of information that you have assembled."

"Electrical storms maybe. The weather service graphs should be here on Friday," Deanna says.

"By mail?" Y/N asks.

"No, we hired a jet liner to fly 'em to us overnight," Samuel answers. Y/N laughs, slightly impressed.

"You know, it sounds to me like we might be hunting the same thing," She says. "You know if we go in there in numbers, we could take care of this real quick."

"What part of 'we work alone' do you not understand, lady?"

==

The next day, Mary and Samuel are sat in a truck outside of the Whitshire home. Samuel is wearing a priest uniform.