ꜱʜᴀᴅᴏᴡ (ᴘᴛ 1)

Sam, Y/N, and Dean stop the car across the street and get out, dressed as employees of the alarm system company. Dean gets a toolbox from the trunk of the car, and they proceed towards the apartment.

"All right, guys. This is the place"

"You know, I've gotta say Dad, Y/N, and me did just fine without these stupid costumes. I feel like a high school drama dork." Dean smiles. "What was that play that you did? What was it..." Dean says, and the twins think for a second.

"Our Town. Yeah, you were good; it was cute" Y/N says.

"Look, you wanna pull this off or not?" Sam asks.

"We're just sayin', these outfits cost hard-earned money, okay?"

"Whose?"

"Ours. You think credit card fraud is easy?"

==

Sam, Y/N, Dean, and the landlady enter the apartment.

"Thanks for lettin' us look around," Sam says.

"Well, the police said they were done with the place, so..." She, Sam, and Dean move further into the room. Dean shuts the apartment door and notices the chain on the door is broken. He follows Sam and Y/N, and when they walk into the living room, spots of blood cover the carpet. "You guys said you were with the alarm company?"

"That's right"

"Well, no offence, but your alarm's about as useful as boobs on a man." The siblings exchange a glance.

"Well, that's why we're here. To see what went wrong and stop it from happening again."

"Now, ma'am, have you found the body?" Sam asks

"Yeah"

"Right after it happened?" Y/N asks.

"No. a few days later. Meredith's work called—she hadn't shown up. I knocked on the door. That's when I noticed the smell," the landlady says.

"Any windows open? Any sign of a break-in?"

"No, windows were locked, and the and the font door was bolted. The chain was on the floor; we had to cut it just to get in."

"And the alarm was still on?" Dean asks.

"Like I said, bang-up job your company's doin'."

"Mmhmm. You see any overturned furniture, broken glass, or signs of struggle?" The landlady shakes her head.

"Everything was in perfect condition, except Meredith."

"And what condition was Meredith in?" Sam asks.

"Meredith was all over. In pieces. The guy who killed her must have had some kind of whack job. But I tell you, if I didn't know any better, I'd have said a wild animal did it." Dean looks at Sam and Y/N.

"Ma'am, do you mind if we take some time? Give this place a once-over." Y/N asks.

"Oh, well, go right ahead. Knock yourself out." Once she's gone, Dean opens his toolbox and removes the EMF metre.

"So, a killer walk in and out of the apartment—no weapons, no prints, nothin'"

"I'm tellin' ya, the minute I found that article, I knew this was our kind of gig." The EMF metre beeps frantically.

"I think I agree with you," Y/N says.

"So, you talked to the cops?" Sam says, looking at Dean.

"Uh, yeah," Dean smirks. "I spoke to Amy, a, uh, charming, perky officer of the law."