ʜᴏᴜꜱᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴏʟʏ (ᴘᴛ 2)

Father Gregory's tombstone is covered in creeping vines; Dean, Sam, and Y/N crouch before it.

"That looks like-" Y/N starts.

"It's wormwood. A plant associated with the dead; specifically, the ones that are not at rest. I don't see it growing anywhere else, except over the murdered priest's marker. It's him, Sam."

"Maybe."

"Maybe?" Dean asks.

"Dean, I don't know what to think."

"Okay. You want some more proof? I'll give you more proof."

"How?"

"We'll summon Gregory's spirit."

"What? Here? In the church?" Y/N asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, we just need a few odds and ends, and that, uh, seance ritual in Dad's journal."

"Oh, a seance, great. Hope Whoopi's available," Dean deadpans.

"That's funny, actually. Seriously. If Father Gregory's spirit is around, a seance will bring him right to us. If it's him, then we'll put him to rest."

"But if it's an angel, it won't share. Nothing will happen," Sam says.

"Exactly. That's one of the perks of the job, Sam: we don't have to operate on faith. We can know for sure. Don't you wanna know for sure?"

==

Y/N, Dean, and Sam leave a small grocery store, Sam holding a paper sack and smiling.

"Dude. I'll admit we've gone pretty ghetto with spell work before, but this takes the cake. I mean, a SpongeBob placemat instead of an altar cloth?"

"We'll just put the SpongeBob side down," Y/N says. Sam and Dean laugh, then Sam stops in shock, staring at something across the street: a young man holding a bunch of flowers; a bright white light glow behind him.

"Guys, that's it."

"What?" The twins ask.

"That's the sign!"

"Where?" Dean asks.

"Right there, right behind that guy! That's him, Guys. And we have to stop him." The young man crosses the street; Sam starts to go after him but Dean and Y/N stop him.

"Wait a minute," Y/N says.

"What are you doing? Let me go."

"You're not going to go kill somebody because a ghost told you to, are you insane?"

"Guys, I'm not insane, I'm not going to kill him. I'm going to stop him."

"Define "stops", huh? I mean, what are you going to do?"

"Guys, please, he's going to hurt someone, you know it."

"All right, come on," Y/N says. The young man has gotten into a car and starts it up, pulling away. Dean gets into the driver's side of his car and starts it; Y/N gets into shotgun; Sam tries to get in the back but the door is locked.

"Dean. Unlock my door."

"You're not killing anyone, Sam. We got this guy; you go do the seance."

"Dean! Y/N!"

"You'll thank us." Dean and Y/N pull away, following the young man at a short distance. The man stops at a corner and gets out with the bunch of flowers, handing them to a woman waiting on the corner. They both get in the car and drive off again.

==

Kneeling before Gregory's grave, Sam has the spell materials spread out: a circle of small white candles, a large black candle in the middle, the placemat, and the journal. He lights the candles, picks up John's journal, and reads.